Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What are these?

I've always wondered what these 2 things are--totally useless, but probably good trivia:

There's an elongated oval "blank" to the left of the ignition (just below the vent), and one on the passenger side, just below the vent. Are these for optional switches?

On the passenger side, just below the vent (I suppose where the ignition would go on RHD cars), there's a round piece with perforations. Could it be the a/c sensor?

• Moderators

The blank ovals are for a rotary switch to adjust the headlights. Something we never had in the US but you can see them on Euro cars.

The round grill below the passenger side vent is for the a/c. Behind the grill is a small fan and a temp sensor for the interior temp.

Jeff

I just checked my car, and all I have at that location is a hole, where that item would be presumably be inserted. My guess is it's a spittoon, a ROW item, but unavailable in US (and particularly in CA), since we frown upon smoking around here... :D

I don't have my car here...where does the "hole" come near when the lid is closed. Would it rest against any component in the trunk....spare tire, folded and packed windscreen on a Cab...whatever?

I wonder why they have 2 right angles in the dotted line. Did they start in the wrong place? :D

• Moderators

At great expense I have designed a gromet that is far superior to the OEM. I am still in the prototype stage. I need everyone to measure the size of the hole in case there has been a change over the years. Need to plug that hole.

Before - ugly.

plug2.sized.jpg

After - beautiful. The plug will be finished with a propriertary 15 step coating process color matched to your car using original German rubber and paint. $100. Place your orders now in time for Christmas.

plug1.sized.jpg

When I looked at the diagram you posted, it looked like it was pointing to the hole that's further back--closer to the windshield--not the one in the center of the hood...no wonder I couldn't figure out what it was... :D

Sounds like a job for Eric at Bumperplugs..or is it Hoodplugs...get that baby painted to match...

Not that I remember Rob. Haven't seen the Cab since we left FL on Nov 12th. Going back Jan 6th and I'll check :drive:

Since it's a round hole I'll measure it up and ask Eric (the plug guy) if he has something! :unsure:

Maybe I'll just stick a round PCA emblem there :eek:

PS: (10 minutes later) I figured it out! Porsche drills holes in their hidden areas to make the car lighter! :lightbulb:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

No one knows as it never made it into production. The drawing is from the 1997 Boxster tech intro booklet that was printed in 1996. The same drawing is in the 1998 996 tech intro booklet that I bought from England as the US did not have a MY98 996. It is not even in the same place on our trunk lids. The oldest US car I have seen is a Boxster that was made in 1996 and it did not have it.

I asked on the German Boxster board and they did not know what it was intended for.

http://stau.jowood.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1708

Actually, this post from that forum explains it: :D :D

Leute, Leute, Leute!

Der 11.11. ist zwar schon ein paar Tage vorbei, aber den muß ich jetzt trotzdem mal vom Stapel lassen:

Dietmar Wischmeyers Logbuch:

Karneval in Köln

Meine Name ist Dietmar Wischmeyer, und dies ist das Logbuch einer Reise durch das Land der Bekloppten und Bescheuerten. Hier ist mein Bericht.

Die Hölle auf Erden hat einen Namen: Karneval in Köln. Als Norddeutscher durch widrige Umstände in die frohsinnverseuchte Kloake gespült, schreit und fleht man nach der heiteren Gelassenheit niedersächsischen Beerdigungen, dem gezügelten Amüsement einer Leichenöffnung in Visselhövede, der zuckenden Würde eines Berges gekeulter Mastschweine in Vechta. Denn was an den tollen Tagen in der Hauptstadt der Bekloppten und Bescheuerten geschieht, könnte nicht fremder sein als die Kastrationswochen in Burundi oder der Winterschlußverkauf in Wakkaduggu.

Tausende sogenannter Jecken fluten ihre bemalten Zombiehüllen mit obergärigem Schankbier, das rüpelige Urinkellner durch die prallgefüllten Gaststuben schwenken. Da dieses Gebräu außer Harndrang keine körperlichen Reaktionen hervorruft, muß sich der User anderweitig in Verzückung setzen. Probates Mittel ist das Grölen dämlicher Absichtsbekundungen wie zum Beispiel: "Mer lasse den Dom in Kölle, denn da jehört er hin". Was in diesen harmlosen Zeilen mitschwingt, ist nichts anderes als die nackte Angst, der rechtmäßige Besitzer könnte den Dom wieder abholen: hätte nicht die preußischen Besatzungsmacht im 19 Jahrhundert den Dom nach über 600 Jahren endlich fertiggestellt, die Pappnasenfritzen würden immer noch auf eine Baustelle glotzen. Konrad Adenauer war es, der Preußen zerschlug, um den Dom endlich für seine Heimatstadt zu sichern. Doch die Angst bleibt, betäubt nur durch die jährlichen Pseudosaturnalien, bei denen frierende Schnapsleichen durch die Straßen torkeln, in die Kaufhauseingänge urinieren und einander Papierschlangen an die Geschlechtsteile blasen.

Kölner Karneval, so grausam kann Fröhlichkeit sein! Lachend geht die Welt zugrunde - wieviel Wahrheit steckt doch in diesem Satz. Was müssen das für Menschen sein, die stolz in der Fremde erzählen, bei ihnen in Kölle - hurra, hurra! - da sei man schweinelustig und nicht so ein Haufen grummelnder Selbstmordgefährdeter wie in Norddeutschland. Nun zeugt ja die ständige Bereitschaft zum Selbstmord von einer gewissen realistischen Sicht der Dinge. Grundlose Fröhlichkeit hat eo ipso etwas blödes, Frohsinn als durchgeknallte Wehrsportübung wie in Köln etwas extrem unverständliches. Es ist, als würde ein Kölner, wenn er von den karnevalistischen Vorzügen seiner Stadt berichtet, erzählen: "Hurra, hurra, wir sind so doof, einmal im Jahr können wir's vor Schmerz nicht mehr aushalten, dann müssen wir es in die Welt hinausschreien!" Ja, wer hätte da kein Verständnis?

Ansonsten habe ich mir schon immer lieber die Militärparade zum Jahrestag der Oktoberrevolution auf dem Roten Platz in Moskau angeschaut als den Kölner Karnevalsumzug. Ja ja, die Sowjets, die haben wenigstens Humor!

In dem Sinne:

Kölle Allaaf!

Jens