Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Has anyone been successful at playing an MP3 CD in their 2005 997? I see mention that this is possible, but my PCM manual doesn't say anything about it, and the PCM does not recognize the CD as readable when I put it in. Is this a software upgrade that can be done by the dealer, or has the actual PCM equipment changed to support MP3 disks?

Works on my 06 997. there is a section in the manual for it. cool thing is, it recognizes any folder system you use on the disc. So if you want to put 8 albums on a disc or different bands, you can make a folder for each and they will show up on the PCM screen. pretty much removes the need for the changer if you didn't get it stock.

Works on my 06 997. there is a section in the manual for it. cool thing is, it recognizes any folder system you use on the disc. So if you want to put 8 albums on a disc or different bands, you can make a folder for each and they will show up on the PCM screen. pretty much removes the need for the changer if you didn't get it stock.

That's exactly what I'm hoping to be able to do, avoid adding a changer. Does the PCM immediatly recognize your MP3 disk as such, or do you have to go into a menu of some sort? Mine just tells me it is not an audio CD. I'm thinking that I don't have either the latest software, or hardware to read the disk. Hopefully it is the software, & it can be upgraded.

That's exactly what I'm hoping to be able to do, avoid adding a changer. Does the PCM immediatly recognize your MP3 disk as such, or do you have to go into a menu of some sort? Mine just tells me it is not an audio CD. I'm thinking that I don't have either the latest software, or hardware to read the disk. Hopefully it is the software, & it can be upgraded.

I just did a search of the 05 Manual for the 997 and there is no mention of mp3 at all so it looks like it might have been an addition for 06.

Yes, the system recognizes it and a little wma/mp3 icon pops up on the lower right of the Main screen. If you hit the Audio button there is an entry at the top for "Folders" above "Track List".

I just did a search of the 05 Manual for the 997 and there is no mention of mp3 at all so it looks like it might have been an addition for 06.

Yes, the system recognizes it and a little wma/mp3 icon pops up on the lower right of the Main screen. If you hit the Audio button there is an entry at the top for "Folders" above "Track List".

Thanks, that confirms that I don't have the capability. Now the only question left for me is to figure out if there is a software upgrade that will add the functionality.

At some point in 05, they added the functionality. All 06 cars have the functionality. If you don't have it, you can't get it. It is NOT software upgradable. This has been talked about alot on other Boards. So, don't shoot the messenger. You are, as they say, SOL.

At least you have a Porsche so keep smiling. :clapping: