Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

TTP tuning

Just decided to take the plunge and let TTP upgrade my 987S engine. Their original concept was to swap it for a 997S (Carrera) engine with modified intake, headers, exhaust and ECU (claimed to deliver 380HP). After checking administrative obstacles (the car is in Hungary, Europe...) decided to go for a rebuild rather than a swap. (So I may keep the original engine number, whatever that means.) The result will (should) be a 3.6l 350HP beast, with custom headers, intake and ECU. Anyone interested in the progress?

This is what I got from Ferdinand, the mastermind behind TTP:

"To make the 3,6l version we need 3 weeks. The conversion includes headers, cat, exhaust, ECU, airbox, intake system and all work inside the engine."

"All work inside" probably means reworked heads, pistons, maybe cylinders, strokers, shaft... Will let you know :D

"All work inside" probably means reworked heads, pistons, maybe cylinders, strokers, shaft... Will let you know :D

In other words .. "a few bolt on items, and a lot of magic.."

I honestly haven't seen many shops that offer this type of service wholesale for the 987 3.2 at all, but it is nice to see that some high performance shops are up to the challenge. I know Porsche motors aren't anything like, say, a Chevy 350, where you could get lost in the catalogs of upgraded performance part after another.. but I would imagine that there would be someone offering the usual suspects so far as naturally aspirated upgrades are concerned, i.e. heads, cams, stroker kits, pistons, etc as you've mentioned.

By all means, keep us posted. You're the new lab-rat ;)

Well, I think TTP is one of the top-notch Porsche tuners in Europe. Just take a look at their website (and magazine tests) - those fire-breathing biturbo conversions are awesome... Unfortunately, they don't have the turbo ready for the 987 yet. (And I prefer the smoother characteristics of the naturally aspirated engine.)

I hope it's nothing wrong to discuss prices here, the engine replacement (3.8l 997S engine tuned up to cca 380HP) project is about 25k EUR+16% VAT, the "light" 3.6 conversion will be 14k EUR + 16% VAT. Both are turnkey packages, excluding transport to and from the shop.

• 1 month later...

OK, car is just finished and will do its "maiden voyage" this weekend. 3.6l conversion, including new ECU, intake, exhaust - all done. It is scheduled for a re-visit to the shop to do a dyno run and fine-tune the ECU after 1500. Supposed to be around 350HP now... Until then, here is a picture taken in the "middle of the road" :D

post-6826-1148573439_thumb.jpg

Just a little bit over 500km in the new engine. According to the break-in procedure (no more than 4000 RMP until the first 500km, no more than 5500RPM before 1500km) all I can say is it's brutal. The new exhaust definitely adds a feeling of "faster than really" but it has a lot more oomph than the stock S had. Rear tires start to screech when I give WOT at 2500 and PSM light keeps flashing... And the incredibly deep and threatening growl from the exhaust turns heads from half a mile away :jump: After the first 2500km the car will be back for a complete ECU reprogramming (piston-by-piston adjustment of ignition and injection map), now it runs with the "generic" good-for-all modified map. Will post dyno results then.

As for the bad news: there were some minor assembly problems. A few drips of oil and coolant here, some loose bolts and connectors there. Nothing that I could not fix at home. (Consider me as a "rather experienced amateur" as I've built my own SC'ed Miata race car during last 2 years... :oops: ) Ferdinand is a very helpful guy, believe that these problems would never occur if he was in the shop during the last week when my car was finished. (He was on a business trip, and though he suggested me to wait for his return before collecting the car, I kept pressing schedule and took it before his final okay).

• 4 weeks later...

Just a very quick update here, mostly to sign that I've not disappeared :-)

Car is back at TTP, one oil ring broken. Needs engine rework. Will be back by the end of next week, that time dynoed and fine-tuned. Will post dyno / videos then.

• 3 months later...

Ok, car is back from the dyno. Meanwhile had to make an engine replacement, covered by TTP's insurance (engine blown while on the dyno at TTP's workshop). It is smooth as silk, additional 70 BHP is definitely a good thing :D Will keep you informed with more details, pics, video etc. if anyone interested.

post-6826-1159800343_thumb.jpg