Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacement of Cab rear plastic window

I have a 2000 996 C4 Cab. I am wanting to replace the rear plastic window as it is discolored. Can anyone tell me if this is possible without top replacement. It kind of looks like the window may be zipped in. If this is the case can anyone tell me the part number for the replacement plastic window.

I have seen a glass replacement for boxters, is this available for 996.

Any tips would be appreciated.

I have a 2000 996 C4 Cab. I am wanting to replace the rear plastic window as it is discolored. Can anyone tell me if this is possible without top replacement. It kind of looks like the window may be zipped in. If this is the case can anyone tell me the part number for the replacement plastic window.

I have seen a glass replacement for boxters, is this available for 996.

Any tips would be appreciated.

In researching a fix for my unglued rear window seam, I found a couple of top shops (Atlanta area) that would sew in my window for approximately $600. I did not investigate a new plastic window. The "zip in" appearance is not for "zip in, zip out" (as my 64 Corvair was) but simply part of the OEM construction, a one-time shot. I am not aware that Porsche sell the rear window as a separate part number.

I looked, but did not find a glass replacement window for the 996. I settled for a new, after market German top that is identical to the OEM one .... with the exception that the rear window is stitched all around, as opposed to relying on a glued seam. Wonder why. Fit, finish, and quality are great. Cost $1900.

I was afraid of that. I hate to replace my top as it is in great shape. Woder if I could take it out and send it some where to have a new window installed?

I was afraid of that. I hate to replace my top as it is in great shape. Woder if I could take it out and send it some where to have a new window installed?

To put a glass window top in an older 996 cab would be very difficult. The rear tray, rollbar assembly and several other parts are different. The are several threads here that have discussed this in the past. If you check out PET you will se how many of the parts changed in 2001 when they went to a glass rear window. If this was not the case many of us would have gone to glass by now.

To put in a new window you would have to remove the top in order to sew it in. A good top shop could do this.

If one were to replace the plastic rear window for a new one (I'm not quite there yet, but just out of curiosity), is there a particular plastic that works the best? In other words, is there a plastic that stays clearest and creaseless for the longest duration?

I just went through all this. My plastic rear window was separating from the fabric which is a very common problem with the OEM Tops. The fabric was actually in good shape still but I decided to replace the whole top because it was 6-700 dollars to just replace the rear window and I figured I might as well tackle the whole thing now because at 5 years old the top is going to need replacing in the next couple of years anyway.

A couple places that sell high quality German fabric tops like the OEM are:

GAHH

http://www.gahh.com/

M and T Manufacturing

http://www.convertibletopguys.com/

Both of these places sell high quality tops for around 1k with the plastic rear window sewn in.

WARNING: Do not make the same mistake I did. Have the dealer do the install. I had a local shop do my install and they messed it up big time. As we all know these are rare cars and not many shops have installed a 996 top. Spend the extra money and have it done right by the experienced mechanics at the dealer. I had to take mine and have them fix all the fups the first installer made.

Good luck!