Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cleaning Radiators and New Grill Mesh

I like the look of the screen/mesh behind the front air scoops and found a GREAT walk-through by Jes.

I used a product at Home Depot called Gutter Guard. There were 6 3-foot sections per package for about 6 dollars.

Following Jes' instructions, I started by . . .

- Jacking up the front end of the car

- Removing both front wheels

- Removing both inserts from front wheel wells (armor all'ed them before putting them back in)

- Removing Bumper

- Removing rubber ducting leading to radiators

And this is what I saw.

CIMG2291.jpg

I could'nt believe the amount of filth that was accumulated in there. Cig' butts, leaves, bugs, TONS of gravel.

Passenger Side.

CIMG2293.jpg

Driver side.

CIMG2295.jpg

Got that all cleaned up, and put the screening/mesh in place and put everything back together.

CIMG2298.jpg

I like it very much! Took about 4 hours, but totally worth it.

Todd

So you were able to pop out the plastic air duct thingies that you put the mesh screen on without takeing off the bumper?

I bought new ones because mine were going grey and I didnt really wanna pull off the bumper if I didn't have to. How hard was getting the bumper off anyway?

Can you post the link that you use so I can look at it?

How did you attach the mesh behind the grills?

With cable ties. I drilled small holes in the removed grill in locations that could not be seen from the front, and just fed the ties through and cinched them down.

Todd

Very good. Now, what about your rotors? :eek:

I checked the thickness, and they are okay . . . do they look like they need to be replaced? I think they look pretty bad, but don't know if they need to be replaced . . .

Thoughts?

So you were able to pop out the plastic air duct thingies that you put the mesh screen on without takeing off the bumper?

I bought new ones because mine were going grey and I didnt really wanna pull off the bumper if I didn't have to. How hard was getting the bumper off anyway?

Can you post the link that you use so I can look at it?

No, the bumper HAS to be removed to get them out. It is pretty easy to get the bumper off. Do a search, and you'll find several walk-throughs on the bumper removal.

If you want to do this job in 2-3 hours instead of 4, you can just loosen the wheel well liners by removing the front 3-4 fasteners and then remove the front bumper cover. I found removing the plastic rivets on the wheel well liners to be the most time consuming part of the job - the rivets tend to stretch and break on a car with a few miles on it.

When I did this last month, I moved the front radiators to the side(leaving hoses attached) and cleaned the back radiator too.

I like the look of the screen/mesh behind the front air scoops and found a GREAT walk-through by Jes.

I used a product at Home Depot called Gutter Guard. There were 6 3-foot sections per package for about 6 dollars.

Following Jes' instructions, I started by . . .

- Jacking up the front end of the car

- Removing both front wheels

- Removing both inserts from front wheel wells (armor all'ed them before putting them back in)

- Removing Bumper

- Removing rubber ducting leading to radiators

And this is what I saw.

CIMG2291.jpg

I could'nt believe the amount of filth that was accumulated in there. Cig' butts, leaves, bugs, TONS of gravel.

Passenger Side.

CIMG2293.jpg

Driver side.

CIMG2295.jpg

Got that all cleaned up, and put the screening/mesh in place and put everything back together.

CIMG2298.jpg

I like it very much! Took about 4 hours, but totally worth it.

Todd

Yeah, I like the result and the mess scares me. I have a 99 and think I'll follow your lead on that one....

Here's to dodging butts on the beltway! LOL

R.

That looks great on a silver boxster, I would like to get some black mesh for mine, something that blends in with the car. I cleaned out mine after 40,000 miles I am not the original owner but it looked as if nobody cleaned it out before me, I even found a lottery ticket in there from the state I bought it in. This is definetley something that should be done if mesh is not installed. Looks great toddwess!!

anyone have any advice on how to reduce the size of a picture in bytes to add as an attatchment to a post?

post-4656-1146862945_thumb.jpg

post-4656-1146862723_thumb.jpg

thanx vfxbox for the pic help was able to figure it out in ms publishing with your advice.

Edited by blackboxster

That looks great on a silver boxster, I would like to get some black mesh for mine, something that blends in with the car. I cleaned out mine after 40,000 miles I am not the original owner but it looked as if nobody cleaned it out before me, I even found a lottery ticket in there from the state I bought it in. This is definetley something that should be done if mesh is not installed. Looks great toddwess!!

anyone have any advice on how to reduce the size of a picture in bytes to add as an attatchment to a post?

if you are using photoshop or image ready, resize image resolution to 640x480 72 pixels/inch and save as jpeg and select FORMAT options to Baseline Optimized, Quality between 7 and 5.