Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear Speaker Help

I have recently brought the speaker upgrade kit (from PNP) and have done the following:

Mounted the speakers routed the cable to the back of the radio

Now I have the cable to route from here, through the firewall etc.

But how the hell does this route with removing more than just the radio?

Help on routing and photos would be a great help

Q-Shipp986's links are the ones I used to tackle the firewall issue from the Amp. While PNPs instructions were good (hard to see the pictures) these links did a better job. It took me approx. 2.5 hrs for the install, probably could have cut it to 2 hrs if I had not gotten stuck with the firewall.

I am currently looking at buying the rear speakers myself but am having difficulty finding out if they can be wired directly to the head unit (CDR23, 2003 Boxter S, standard dash speakers only, No amp) or moreso, if the rear outputs of the CDR23 are live/active. I read that if you have the sound pack upgrade with amp ten the rear CDR23 outputs are dead but don't know if this is true without amp (becker 6611 model I read). Becker refuse to advise and porsche dealer hasn't a clue! Don't want to order the kit and then be unable to use it.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers, Stales

I am currently looking at buying the rear speakers myself but am having difficulty finding out if they can be wired directly to the head unit (CDR23, 2003 Boxter S, standard dash speakers only, No amp) or moreso, if the rear outputs of the CDR23 are live/active. I read that if you have the sound pack upgrade with amp ten the rear CDR23 outputs are dead but don't know if this is true without amp (becker 6611 model I read). Becker refuse to advise and porsche dealer hasn't a clue! Don't want to order the kit and then be unable to use it.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers, Stales

Email this guy, he should be able to help you:

harveypnp@comcast.net

Any help appreciated.

Cheers, Stales

Email this guy, he should be able to help you:

harveypnp@comcast.net

Cheers anyway but I've asked and pnp don't know either. Anyone?

cheers.

The TSB says that if you do not have the external amp that you hook the rear speakers up to the back of the radio, as was done on 1997-2002.

Cheers Tool pants..rear speakers at last then!!!

Stales

Edited by Stales

• 2 months later...

The TSB says that if you do not have the external amp that you hook the rear speakers up to the back of the radio, as was done on 1997-2002.

Stales

Stales - I have the exact same situation ,03 Boxster S with same radio, speakers, and no amp. Did you buy the PNP rear speaker kit? Were they easy to install? With no amp, is there still enough power for all speakers including the rear? How does it sound? Thanks!!!

Stales

Stales - I have the exact same situation ,03 Boxster S with same radio, speakers, and no amp. Did you buy the PNP rear speaker kit? Were they easy to install? With no amp, is there still enough power for all speakers including the rear? How does it sound? Thanks!!!

yes I bought the pnp kit, it's a yr 02 kit that was sent which I am assured is the right one for no amp. Haven't got round to fitting it though, ws never really planning to do it myself but my local car audio pace have refused to fit it, said it was too risky, wouldn't cut the holes out of the rear unit. I think they are just worried cause it's a porsche. odd! Anyway, it will no doubt sit there for some time till i pluck up the courage to do it myself. Looks pretty straightforward but a pain running the wires from what I can see. Instructions provided are attached (hopefully!).

Cheers, Stales.

03_04_SPEAKERADDITIONKIT.pdf

The wife and I did this a few years ago; after all it is ‘her 986’ MY03 with OUT an amp. It is nice to see that PNP has up dated his instruction and is keeping current with the model changes. It’s not that difficult and is a good afternoon project. You can get the video that ‘TP’ sells and read the new instructions. The hardest parts to us were the speaker screen install and plugging the pins into the back of OEM socket. The video makes both of these steps look too easy. But it is doable. We ran the wires up and over the glove box and then into the radio area. The only mistake was that the connector for the servicing the engine was placed on the wrong side of the top mechanism :oops: , I must have had the page upside down. The engine has been service twice by two different Porsche dealers and the top has been up and down many times and the speakers are still working. :thumbup: I was hopping that PNP would have an upgrade for the front speakers, as I do not want to fuss with fitting and gluing speakers that might or might not fit or work. Perhaps someday..