Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

what about the engine oil?

I wonder why Porsche recomends Mobil 1 0W40.

The core of a 911 is a high performance engine. I know it's perfectly covered by this fantastic oil. Mobil 1 0W40 is enough to prevent wear , and it's good enough to protect the engine on extreme weather conditions too .

But i was thinking about Castrol RS 10W60, another wonderful product with different viscosity. Perhaps this is the ideal viscosity to be mounted in warm and hot climate regions.

¿what do you think about this?

Edited by juankimalo

[Link removed by Admin]

Yes. I know it.

In the previous list you have several products made by Castrol . 0W40 and 5W40 are the recomended ones, and there is no 10W60. This is a very high performance oil, and it's suited for BMW M's. I thought it was able to work properly on Porsche engines.... :unsure:

Thanks

10w60? Never heard of such viscosity. It's definitely not approved by Porsche. Syntec is on the approved oil list but not this weight. I'd not do it. Stick with approved oil or weight at very least.

Here you have Castrol Formula RS 10W60. rs_10w60_2_50x120.jpg

This is from the Castrol spanish web:

Castrol Fórmula RS 10W-60

Lubricante 100% sintético de la más alta calidad, desarrollado especialmente para motores de automóviles deportivos de elevada potencia. Recomendado para su uso en competición. API SL/CF, ACEA A3/B3/B4, BMW M5, Porsche Approved

As you can see, they say it's Porsche Approved.

we usually call it "the elixir" when we talk about BMW engines.

Edited by Loren

[Link removed by Admin]

Yes. I know it.

In the previous list you have several products made by Castrol . 0W40 and 5W40 are the recomended ones, and there is no 10W60. This is a very high performance oil, and it's suited for BMW M's. I thought it was able to work properly on Porsche engines.... :unsure:

Thanks

10w60? Never heard of such viscosity. It's definitely not approved by Porsche. Syntec is on the approved oil list but not this weight. I'd not do it. Stick with approved oil or weight at very least.

Here you have Castrol Formula RS 10W60. rs_10w60_2_50x120.jpg

This is from the Castrol spanish web:

Castrol Fórmula RS 10W-60

Lubricante 100% sintético de la más alta calidad, desarrollado especialmente para motores de automóviles deportivos de elevada potencia. Recomendado para su uso en competición. API SL/CF, ACEA A3/B3/B4, BMW M5, Porsche Approved

As you can see, they say it's Porsche Approved.

we usually call it "the elixir" when we talk about BMW engines.

Porsche loves to change their recommended oils. The 996 used to come with 15W50 from the factory, now, that same oil in the same engine will make it blow up or something. So either Porsche recommended the wrong oil to begin with or they are recommending the wrong oil now. Either way, it demonstrates that they have no idea what the best oil is for their cars. IMO, stay away from The Mobil water in any climate that is regularly above 30 degrees. Raise your hot viscosity to 50 and the cold to at least 5. If you like the tick tick tick of the lifters in hot weather at startup, stay with the water.

There are many opinions on oil viscosity, even if you ask the technicians at various dealerships. I recently changed oil and filter for summer running, Castrol Syntec 5W50.

Being recently at the dealer parts department, had a chance to talk to one of the more experienced technicians. They use Mobil 0-40 for all 996-997 servicing as per Porsche (year round). When I asked about 5W50, he smiled and said that would be his recommendation for our climate (NC). Seems like they have to follow Porsche recommended in case they have issues later with an engine serviced there.

I would worry more about climate for the decision. In the hot Carolina summer, 5-50 seems to work fine. I used 9.5 quarts, and the other half quart goes down with drain plug removed to help "drain" the 0-40 older oil. I pour until I see clear oil coming through. Old habit.

I think that the lighter weight 0W-40 oil is being recommended for gas mileage reasons only. I used 15W-50 through the winter (my car is garaged) and never heard any problems whatsoever from the lifters. Moreover, I really do get on my car sometimes and I want that protection for days when it gets warm on the road.

1999, this a recurring topic for you, eh? Why do you think they dropped back to 0W-40? Would my mileage guess make sense?

I think that the lighter weight 0W-40 oil is being recommended for gas mileage reasons only. I used 15W-50 through the winter (my car is garaged) and never heard any problems whatsoever from the lifters. Moreover, I really do get on my car sometimes and I want that protection for days when it gets warm on the road.

1999, this a recurring topic for you, eh? Why do you think they dropped back to 0W-40? Would my mileage guess make sense?

That's my guess along with heavy lobbying by Mobil. You get slightly more power using a thinner oil, but at a cost in the long run. It does not provide proper protection of these hot running engines as well as encourages seal leakage.

That's my guess along with heavy lobbying by Mobil. You get slightly more power using a thinner oil, but at a cost in the long run. It does not provide proper protection of these hot running engines as well as encourages seal leakage.

But weren't there RMS leaks prior to the shift in recommendation to 0W40?