Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cabriolet replacement?

My rear plastic window has failed at the bottom. I guess the heat here in Alabama was too much for it. Is thier a way to have the window stiched in or am I going to have to buy a new top? Is the top something I can replace myself or does it need to go to the dealer. If anyone has tried to repair the window any tips would be appreciated and also on replacing. Does anybody know about these glass window tops, I like the idea but the window appears to be small for Models 996 2000. I would hate to buy the glass and not be happy with the window size.

I just picked up my 2000 cab. from an auto upholstery shop that stitched 2 rows around the plastic window. Mine started pulling away on the bottom left. He told me that he gets many Porsche cars in for this same problem.

I had 1 shop tell me I had to replace the whole top. But all of the others said that the plastic window can be stitched back in.

I had quotes form $475 to $875 in the Socal area. Also see about putting a new plastic window in while they are doing this.

Mine looks just like it did before, except for the stitching around the window. Most people won;t even notice.

Just find a good auto upholstery shop, and you will see that they have done this before.

good luck.

capt601

If you don't mind spending a few more $$$, get in touch with www.gahh.com and they'll fit a top with a heated glass rear window.

Thanks for the tips, but I am a little concerned about the glass top. The pictures on the net really make the rear glass look about 1/2 the size of the original vinyl window and I am afraid it will really cut down on visibility. Has anyone gotten one of these glass top and if so how do you feel about the rear window size.

I found a cover shop that will restich in a new window for 400-700 bucks and I believ this will be better than the factory laminations, so I am probably goin g to go this way.

SDP which part of Alabama? I'm in Huntsville and may need to replace the plastic window since where it folds it's getting whitish so, I am interested in who your installer will be.

Thanks,

SDP which part of Alabama? I'm in Huntsville and may need to replace the plastic window since where it folds it's getting whitish so, I am interested in who your installer will be.

Thanks,

I am in Montgomery, I have a local cover shop guy that I have known for years. He does seats and boats, any type of recovering. I too am going to get a new plastic window when he sews it in. He told me he would just buy the window material and cut it to fit the porsche window. I really think this is going to be better than it was, as the factory seem that is welded electrically was just poor. I will have stiches around the window, but I think it will last longer than the top.

If you want to come down here to have it done I will give you the number, but he said he does it all the time and especially on Porsche and VW's. I am sure thier would be someone in Huntsville that can do it. He ball parked me a quote of 400-600 bucks with new window. I'll let you know how it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my car back this week, for 500.00 I got a new clear rear widow sewn in and it looks almost as good as the factory job. I am sure it is much better and hope It wil last a long time. My guy had no problem with taking the top off and putting it back on. I am very pleased and other than the stiching on the outside you would never know it was not factory. I don't believ they use clear, kind of a green tinted plastic at factory, but I went with the clear and for the first time since I have owned the car I can see out the rear window as if it were glass. I would reccomend this fix to anyone. :thumbup: