Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

99 C2 9800 for $25000 EXCEPT...

Hey guys, I've been looking for a porsche for months. I came across a really good deal - its a 1999 Silver 996 C2 with 9800 miles, with turbo twist wheels, Bridgestone S03 tires, 3-spoke steering wheel, and no mechanical problems. For $25K.

The catch is that its been in storage for 6 years, some of the interior is gone (but parts are included), doesnt start, and I need to replace the fuse panel & clutch master cylinder (which also is included as a brand new part). I was a bit confused at first, so I contacted the owner. He recently sold his garage and has to sell the porsche because it was in the garage as a project car. Its now in storage since he has no place to put it, and is paying a storage fee, so needs to get rid of it.

He stated that the interior is out (but all original parts are included) because he was trying to change the color from grey to black. In the process he said it was necessary to take the clutch master cylinder & clutch pedal out because it was part of the process in taking the interior out. He also disconnected most of the electronics via the fuse panel for the process. All parts that are included to make the car run.

It has a clean title and is in TX. It will also take about $500 enclosed carrier to transport it to CA where I am. Do you think this is logical and something someone does if they are changing the interior out - in such as a project car? Deal or No Deal?

Please let me know asap if you have anything to contribute as I am trying to seal the deal asap.

Edited by PCH Cruise

For a 99 to be in store 6 years, it was in store prettymuch since new with missing parts? I would want to understand how it got to that point of repair so quickly, accident, theft, Customs recovery, etc.

Sometimes if something sounds too good to be true, it is. If you are very good at working on cars and can deal with surprises, can make a good project car. But for another $7-9K should find a good condition car without issues. The low miles engine is good, assuming it is not damaged.

Keep in mind that not all damage is reported......Only a small percentage of Katrina flooded cars got into the DOT system as flood damaged, for example.

In my business I custom build motorcycles and over the years I have finished several uncompleted projects simular to what you refer to here. You should expect the worst, and in reality things are usually MUCH worse than your expectations. If your primary objective is finding a good deal cost wise and a project this could be it. But if you are looking for a 996 for a great value...RUN. Mechanical parts are happiest in motion, most of the damage they experience comes for periods of inactivity. I assure you that the low mileage is a curse and not a blessing in this case. But 25k is not much money and if you enjoy a challenge, this could be a fun project. Just don't expect to make money for your time invested to complete the project. Keep us posted.

In my business I custom build motorcycles and over the years I have finished several uncompleted projects simular to what you refer to here. You should expect the worst, and in reality things are usually MUCH worse than your expectations. If your primary objective is finding a good deal cost wise and a project this could be it. But if you are looking for a 996 for a great value...RUN. Mechanical parts are happiest in motion, most of the damage they experience comes for periods of inactivity. I assure you that the low mileage is a curse and not a blessing in this case. But 25k is not much money and if you enjoy a challenge, this could be a fun project. Just don't expect to make money for your time invested to complete the project. Keep us posted.

+1