Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fabspeed "Cold Air Airbox" upgrade

hey y'all,

have anyone experience with Fabspeed "Cold Air Kit" upgrade?

if so, how is the sound and feeling from it?

one thing bothers me though, Fabspeed removes "Mass air grill" and replaced with a Carbon ring to close the gap to get the better airflow.

but as we all know, "Mass air sensor" is a sensible thing on 996 and Boxster, and it's one of the most part that get damage and replace according to service statistics here in Germany and Fabspeed replace that with an open mods!

is that wise?

those who has this mod, do you regulary need to clean the "Mass air sensor" or have you any other issue with that?

cheers,

Tony

Edited by alter_schwede

:D Tony I just installed the kit on my car and it seems to idle fine, a little noisier when you gas it but I have not taken it out for spin yet until snow clears here.

As for the grill, it is just that, a grill, it is before the actual sensor and I am not sure what it's function is. Other MAF on vehicles I have seen have no such grill. in fact they are open tubes with the sensor setting in the center. (Granatelli etc.) Ask Loren, he seems to have experience with this modification also. (See post about "What air mod is this?")

Jim

i've had mine for 4 months no problems. my friends have had theirs for longer... no problems. all it is is a little grill that doesn't really do much. it definitely doesnt' do anything to the MAF. i did the same thing on my mitsu eclipse years and years ago... no problems on that either.

butt dyno says yes, actual power probably none. I raced my friend who had it before I bought one and we were head to head. I put mine on and we raced again and we were head to head again. mind you this was on the highway so there was little to no room for driver error. literally head to head 5 out of 5 times. hope this helps~

by the way, it sounds much much better...

thx guys,

this means you could really get away for cheaper to just get remove vacum chamber, the grill and block the hole with the "Orange Cap" or something similar to get the same function as the Fabspeed "Cold Air Kit" and save $$$!?!

seriously Fabspeed "Cold Air Kit" for $250, is it really worth it compares with the BMC CDA?

cheers,

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

All you guys with the Fabspeed cold air kit... what air filter are you running? Stock paper or a cotton race filter like BMC or K&N?

Regarding the plastic screen, it probably won't do much for protecting the MAF sensor from residual filter oil; however, it WILL keep that large piece of debris that somehow makes it past your filter from getting to your motor. :eek:

Also, the Fabspeed block off cap screws into the cover. It should not dislodge. I have seen pics of the little orange cap, but which side does it sit on? It probably blocks off the stock airbox muffler from the "clean" side of the filter. If that thing comes loose, you know where it's going next...

Power/throttle response gains are questionable, but the sound is greatly enhanced according to many people.

BMC F1

But I warn you, the dealership don't like these aftermarket filters.

Iv'e had mine on the car for almost 3 1/2 years though. I just swap it out when it goes in for service then clean, re-oil and refit when I get it back. Dare I say it (tempting fate), my engine seems fine apart from the fact that I just picked it up today after its 2nd RMS. Touch wood, had no MAF problems because of the cold air intake grill but I did once have a large moth mangled in it. I often wonder where this would have gone without the grill.......also stops mice getting in the engine

:lol:

• 3 years later...

I bought the Tiptronic Version which doesn't have the Red Pipe. You get the plastic dome with flanges that replaces the box in your air filter lid and a very thin ring to replace the mesh screen in the lid in the air filter box. This was something like $160 delivered in the US.

I've heard that they have now taken the thin ring out of the kit so presumably the Tiptronic version is just one part which is very expensive for a single bit of plastic.

I just took mine out and tried one of the Niagara orange caps and it fitted fine. They are free. So $160 vs Free?

Also I can't see any mention on the Fabspeed site for the Tiptronic kit anymore and the kit sells at $225.

If anyone is in the UK and wants to buy my Tiptronic kit - it's for sale. I have the replacement plastic box/plug thing and also the ring - but it is cracked although I wouldn't use it as I think the original screen mesh should be retained - this seems to be the latest wisdom.

I'm going to try and get back half of what I paid - which at the time was $160 at 1.50 to the pound. So cost me around £110.

I'll put it up for £50 which is ridiculous for a piece of plastic but it is a Tiptronic Fabspeed Kit (i.e. One piece) and I am assuming they would be around £100 in the UK. I'll provide instructions and photos and if you are in the UK and care to come to me - I will show you how to fit it. I am in Solihull.

Any questions I'll happily answer. If you prefer the Orange Cap - I can provide the email for the nice lady at the UK company that sent me 3 samples free of charge.

This is a free alternative, although I haven't tried it in the car but it seems to fit fine.

Edited by JohnJStewart

• 1 year later...
I bought the Tiptronic Version which doesn't have the Red Pipe. You get the plastic dome with flanges that replaces the box in your air filter lid and a very thin ring to replace the mesh screen in the lid in the air filter box. This was something like $160 delivered in the US.

I've heard that they have now taken the thin ring out of the kit so presumably the Tiptronic version is just one part which is very expensive for a single bit of plastic.

I just took mine out and tried one of the Niagara orange caps and it fitted fine. They are free. So $160 vs Free?

Also I can't see any mention on the Fabspeed site for the Tiptronic kit anymore and the kit sells at $225.

If anyone is in the UK and wants to buy my Tiptronic kit - it's for sale. I have the replacement plastic box/plug thing and also the ring - but it is cracked although I wouldn't use it as I think the original screen mesh should be retained - this seems to be the latest wisdom.

I'm going to try and get back half of what I paid - which at the time was $160 at 1.50 to the pound. So cost me around £110.

I'll put it up for £50 which is ridiculous for a piece of plastic but it is a Tiptronic Fabspeed Kit (i.e. One piece) and I am assuming they would be around £100 in the UK. I'll provide instructions and photos and if you are in the UK and care to come to me - I will show you how to fit it. I am in Solihull.

Any questions I'll happily answer. If you prefer the Orange Cap - I can provide the email for the nice lady at the UK company that sent me 3 samples free of charge.

This is a free alternative, although I haven't tried it in the car but it seems to fit fine.

hey John I am down the road from you in moseley would like to try this mod can you email me so we can arrange to meet cheers

Zakariah786@hotmail.com

cheers

and for all those potential spamers out thier this is a temporary email I have set up for these kinds of purposes and is not my daily email lol

• 3 weeks later...

John, I just installed a Fabspeed intake kit with the red hose on my 01 Tip C2 not knowing they had a different version for Tiptronic. Anyway, there is now an extra vacumn line dangling there since the red hose doesn't have a place to attach it. The black corrugated stock hose has an inlet to attach this line but only for Tiptronic cars.

My question is since your Tiptronic version kit didn't come with the red hose and assuming you are still using the stock black corrugated hose, how did you connect the small diameter opening from the stock black hose that used to connect to the air box since that opening is now plugged up by the plastic/carbon looking dome piece?

I realize this is a pretty old thread but if you read this please comment. Anybody else that knows the answer please comment also. TIA!

John, I just installed a Fabspeed intake kit with the red hose on my 01 Tip C2 not knowing they had a different version for Tiptronic. Anyway, there is now an extra vacumn line dangling there since the red hose doesn't have a place to attach it. The black corrugated stock hose has an inlet to attach this line but only for Tiptronic cars.

My question is since your Tiptronic version kit didn't come with the red hose and assuming you are still using the stock black corrugated hose, how did you connect the small diameter opening from the stock black hose that used to connect to the air box since that opening is now plugged up by the plastic/carbon looking dome piece?

I realize this is a pretty old thread but if you read this please comment. Anybody else that knows the answer please comment also. TIA!

I just installed the dome and the pipes all still connected as they did originally. I didn't have a red tube.

I'm not sure what you can do other than use the original tube.