Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Amplifier problem...need help fast 680 model

Well my car is a little weird but i'm sure that some of these problems are found in many porsches so hopefully someone here has experienced this and can guide me to a solution or fix. I have a 1999 boxster and is has the indash Navigation with the Hi-fi 6 disk setup that is powered by Harmon 680 amplifier (OEM). I don't listen to music loud, but do have it turned up enough that i can drive comfortably with the top down and still be able to carry a conversation with someone. I was driving like i usually do and the sound stopped suddenly. I didn't hear any crackles or sparks; the stereo just stopped. Funny thing is that everything in my car is controled by my center stereo setup. I have my A/C, nav, milage, stereo, 6 disc, and climate control all in my stereo and even though i don't get sound i can see that it's still pickup radio stations (my screen tells me the names of the songs on the radio), and i can still see my nav and other features working. So i checked my amplifier and you can see that one of the prongs looks like it sparked or blew out. How or why would this happen? Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what is the fix to prevent this from happening again. I haven't bought a new amp yet because i'm scared that if i spend the money that is will only blow out again.

Any help is appreciated

I forgot to mention that this stereo is typically found in the 996 but i had porsche install it in my boxster when i bought the car. It is the hi-fi system with the PCM and Harman m680 amp (no telephone) There are two plugs a big red one and a small black one. The red one has 20 prongs that look fine, while the small black one has 8 prongs and i believe prong #7 is the problem but don't know what to make of it. It looks white ashy almost, but still don't know what the problem could be.

I forgot to mention that this stereo is typically found in the 996 but i had porsche install it in my boxster when i bought the car. It is the hi-fi system with the PCM and Harman m680 amp (no telephone) There are two plugs a big red one and a small black one. The red one has 20 prongs that look fine, while the small black one has 8 prongs and i believe prong #7 is the problem but don't know what to make of it. It looks white ashy almost, but still don't know what the problem could be.

Can't help you with the problem, but in case you need a replacement amp, I do have a spare m490 6 Channel and a spare m490 4 channel amp for sale very reasonably, not sure if the m490 can replace the m680 though, tbd.

Anyone else interested in the amps, please let me know, they do not come with the harnesses, but one can come with the OEM mounting bracket. Tony

Can't help you with the problem, but in case you need a replacement amp, I do have a spare m490 6 Channel and a spare m490 4 channel amp for sale very reasonably, not sure if the m490 can replace the m680 though, tbd.

Anyone else interested in the amps, please let me know, they do not come with the harnesses, but one can come with the OEM mounting bracket. Tony

I'm interested in the 6x40 (non-dsp). How much?

• 2 weeks later...