Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

ipod install - hook up power?

Hello,

I did the becker auxiliary install last night. I did plug the RCA jack with an audio/power cable.

Basically it has the 2 RCA jacks that you hook up into the becker auxiliary cable but it has 2 other connexions one for power and one for the dock plug.

Where do I hook it up for power so it can charge the ipod? I don't want to rerun all the cables to the fuse box. Is there a way I could easily plug into the window switch?

If somebody has a DIY picture of how I could plug the power in I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance

:notworthy:

post-1737-1137460049_thumb.jpg

Edited by rbizet

Hi,

I found this picture on a V1 install it is a 1997 and mine is a 2000S so the harness might be different.

Is there an easy way where I could directly plug that harness into the power cable (black with purple plastic end) from the previous picture?

I don't understand anything about car electronics !!!

Thanks.

post-1737-1137462735_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

The cell phone power connector is a good source of switched power. The only issue in using this source is that you may induce a ground loop in the audio signal cable. This will cause a whine in the audio. To fix that, you will need to run the audio from your iPod cable through a ground loop isolator cable.

These are available from Radio Shack.

While this cable won't completely remove the noise from the line, it will attenuate it so that you won't hear it except at very loud volumes.

Here is another article on iPod integration

Thank You for your help !!!

It still looks like I might need some help. That might be the perfect excuse for me to come to a car day.

To plug the cell phone connector (for power right?) into my ipod power cable do I need to buy the phone power cable from Becker?

I just want to make sure I have all the part so I can participate to one of Tool Pants session.

Thanks a bunch.

Edited by rbizet

If I get you correctly this means that I take the cell phone connector harness apart. Find the 2 12volts cable, take the ipod power jack apart identify the power line as well and hook all of them through the wire tap connector. Is this right? Where do I plug the ground wire?

Sorry about all these questions !!!

Thanks for your informative replies.

• Moderators
If I get you correctly this means that I take the cell phone connector harness apart. Find the 2 12volts cable, take the ipod power jack apart identify the power line as well and hook all of them through the wire tap connector. Is this right? Where do I plug the ground wire?

Sorry about all these questions !!!

Thanks for your informative replies.

No, you don't have to take anything apart, just crimp the power line from the phone connector to the power lead on the end of your ipod connector, and the same with the ground wire. Look at the end of the ipod cable, it should just have a red and black wire to connect to the car's power.

The phone harness is just laying in the back of the center console. To get at it just pull off the carpet cover on the side of the console. it is just held in with plastic clips.

On the phone power cable, the brown wire is ground, red/green is unswitched 12V+, and green/black is switched 12v+. Pick the power source line you want depending if you want power to the ipod all of the time or just with the key on. The wire taps just fit over the source wire, and the feeder wire sticks in one end, then when you close the clip it splices the two wires together for you.

Orient Express,

Let me try to summarize to see if I get this right.

In the phone harness I free up the ground cable (brown) and switched power (green black. So that it charges only when the key is in the ignition). I will not use the connector itself.

In the ipod power cable, I will also not use the connector itself. It has 2 other wires black and red. So should I use the split connector to hook up the switched power cable from the phone harness to feed into both the black and red cable from the ipod power cable?

Now where do I plug the ground cable from the phone harness?

Sorry I promised it was my last question. I will take pictures to share for others who might be challenged as well.

Thank you so much.

• Moderators

In the phone harness I free up the ground cable (brown) and switched power (green black. So that it charges only when the key is in the ignition). I will not use the connector itself.

Yes

In the ipod power cable, I will also not use the connector itself. It has 2 other wires black and red. So should I use the split connector to hook up the switched power cable from the phone harness to feed into both the black and red cable from the ipod power cable?

I assume that you already have the audio signal lines connected to the Becker cable. If you do, then are the Red/black wires on the iPod cable for power?

If they are, then the red one would go to the green/black line on the Phone harness, and the black one would go to the brown ground line.

Now where do I plug the ground cable from the phone harness?

the ground wire on the phone harness is the 12V- line.

You should post a picture of the iPod cable, so I can see what it looks like.

Hello,

I already have the audio lines connected to the Becker cable.

This is what the ipod cable looks like (the sound is great but obviously it does not charge my ipod yet).

The cable on top is plugged on the ipod. At the bottom I have the connector and the red power cable and black ground cable, I assume?

So I should ignore the connector and plug the red cable to the green/black line on the phone harness and the black cable to the brown line on the phone harness.

Do you just twist them together and tape them up with electrical tape?

Thank you very much for your help.

post-1737-1137891393_thumb.jpg

Edited by rbizet

• Moderators
Hello,

I already have the audio lines connected to the Becker cable.

This is what the ipod cable looks like (the sound is great but obviously it does not charge my ipod yet).

The cable on top is plugged on the ipod. At the bottom I have the connector and the red power cable and black ground cable, I assume?

So I should ignore the connector and plug the red cable to the green/black line on the phone harness and the black cable to the brown line on the phone harness.

Do you just twist them together and tape them up with electrical tape?

Thank you very much for your help.

OK, very simple. Do you have the inline splice taps from Radio shack yet? If not go get them. Click here for info on these taps

On the red wire, the little black box on the wire is a fuse, leave that on, and trim the end of the wire so that there is no bare wire sticking out from the insulation. The red wire will go to the green black line on the phone harness.

On the black wire, clip off the terminal connector on its end, and splice that wire to the brown wire on the phone harness.

That is it. The only issue you may have is ground loop whine on the audio, and if you do, get the ground loop isolator cable from Radio Shack and place it between the iPod Audio cable and the Becker audio cable. Click here for info on the Ground Loop Isolator

Good luck with it.

Hello Orient Express,

The installation was perfect thanks to your detailed instructions.

I had to replace the fuse but the ground loop isolator was not needed.

Thanks again for making this board such a great place to get information for our cars.

• 2 weeks later...

I just did a very similar install, though with a sirius radio, and I've got a question

before the ground loop isolater was installed I had loud whine that would get louder with engine speed, after the isolater was installed the noise is greatly reduced but still there, I can only hear it on talk stations and during pauses in the music

the noise isn't there when I use the FM modulator so I'm thinking it's related to the AUX in for the CD220, but I'm not sure what to check on with that

thanks for any ideas,

Tom

• Moderators
I just did a very similar install, though with a sirius radio, and I've got a question

before the ground loop isolater was installed I had loud whine that would get louder with engine speed, after the isolater was installed the noise is greatly reduced but still there, I can only hear it on talk stations and during pauses in the music

the noise isn't there when I use the FM modulator so I'm thinking it's related to the AUX in for the CD220, but I'm not sure what to check on with that

thanks for any ideas,

Tom

The noise is a because of an impedance mismatch between the grounds for power and the audio-input lines. Some devices are worse than others. The reason that you did not hear it with the FM modulator is that the audio output of the Sirius was not going directly to the input of the radio amplifier, it was going to the FM modulator. To fully remove the noise requires fine tuning of the choke (that little lump on the wire) on the ground loop isolator.

You will find that at speed, the whine that is left in the system is usually masked by road noise.