Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Does a 996 Hardtop fit a 997?

• 3 weeks later...
Just wondering, does a 996 hardtop for my 2002 and later fit a 997? Anyone know? Thanks.

Everything I have seen points to that. The hardtop on my 997 carries a 996 part number. I recall some discussion early on with respect to the 997 that it was a complete makeover from the 996 except for the roof. Perhaps they really did mean the hardtop roof.

Of course, you will have to spend a few bucks to install the intallation kit into your unprepared 997, unless it came with one.

Dan

06 997S Hardtop Cab

• Moderators

The only issue you will face with using a 996 hardtop on a 997 is:

The 996 hardtop will probably have the older style "Pin" latch for the rear attachment points. The 997 will not have any mating latch mechanism installed.

You will have to purchase and install the updated threaded bolt rear attachment mechanism on the top and the car. Refer to TSB 6117 for more details. It is a simple modification to do.

Here is a picture of the new and the old attachment methods.

newrearhardtoplock.jpg

The other minor issue is that the front alignment pins on the hardtop that fit into the slots on the left and right sunvisor mount in the windshield header have slightly different shapes to them. They will fit, but it is unclear how tight the fit will be.

Other than these 2 issues it is PnP.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just wondering, does a 996 hardtop for my 2002 and later fit a 997? Anyone know? Thanks.

Did you ever try the 996 roof on 997. I'm in the same situation now looking for hard top.

thanks

Hi, I've got myself a 996 2004 hardtop, does anyone know the part numbers required to change the mounts, i want to fit it to a 997 2005?

Thanks

I think they are the same. I have seen a lot of them listed as 996/997 hard top, which makes me think they do. I do think it depends on whether or not your cabrio was ordered ready for the HT or not.

Here is some info from rennlist.com If you have an account there you can read the Do-it yourself with photos at the link I have provided below.

Good luck!

DC

From Rennlist.com at this link: Click Here

"For those that drive their cars in the cold weather like I do, I wanted to have a hardtop to install on my 06 C2S cab in the winter. I'm one of those unusual people that actually like the look of the hardtop!

Unless your 997 was ordered with a hardtop (very rare), in a likelihood, your 997 does not have the mounting hardware on your car to install a hardtop, unlike all of the 996's.

There are many people who question whether a 996 hardtop will fit on a 997. The answer is YES. All that's required are the mounts that bolt on to the car that receive the locks on the top. Mounts are specific to the locking pins on the car. Mounts are left - right specific with the left mount having the electrical connection for the rear defroster included. Electrical hookup is plug and play as the 997 includes the harness for the defroster connection.

It is important to know what kind of hardtop you have, because sometime during the 996 lifespan, the attachment mounts, and hardware on the top, were changed out for a better design. I was lucky enough to find a very CHEAP 996 hardtop with the later mounting hardware.

The parts you will need for the newer style mounts are :

996.561.653.04 (mount to attach to the car)

996.561.654.04 (mount to attach to the car)

900.378.173.09 (8 of these just to be safe)

I bought these mounts and hardware for a total of $245 from my local dealer."

• 2 months later...