Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

has any one replaced transmission fluid----

has any done this on a 2005 cayenne s

i am thinking of doing this vehicle has 65k miles on it---

do you know part nos for the filter and the pan gasket----also how many ltrs of oil is needed

any other tips/information is greatly appreciated

thank you

+1

I drive the crap out of my 04 Cayenne S with some occasional towing and I guess an tranny fluid change won't hurt...

JP

• 2 weeks later...

Porschelibrarian posted an few example pages of the Cayenne workshop manual that happen to contain the section on inspecting, topping off and replacing ATF.

Here's the document you can download:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?a...st&id=17022

This seems like a fairly complicated process requiring special filler tools.

Has anyone tried this?

JP

This seems like a fairly complicated process requiring special filler tools.

Has anyone tried this?

It takes a few special tools and a lift, but should not be too difficult.

Im gonna do a ATF and filter change soon on a guys 04 cayenne s

Big 17mm allen socket to drain the pan.

Yank the pan, change the filter and gasket.

pelicanparts has the filter for ~$40 and the gasket for ~$60

The other plug on the pan has a smaller plug in the middle which has a tube going up where the full level will be.

To refill you would need a mityvac 7201 or similar to pump the ATF in.

In the manual they show to remove the cooler line and pump fluid through the lines.

But I will probably just disconnect it at the connection by the radiator and blow air through it to get the ATF out.

I was kinda pissed at the dealer when I ordered his differential and transfer case fluid so I could drain and refill all 3.

The t-case fluid is just regular old GM auto trac 2 in a german bottle......list was $57 for .85 liter!

What a joke, I had 3 quarts on the shelf.

The diff fluid was nearly the same outrageous price, should have just used some bulk 75-90 synthetic.

Needless to say, I will never order fluids from porsche again.

Edited by Gen3Benz

It seems like after you total up the parts it's not worth the time and labor to do it yourself. Anyone pay a dealer or Porsche shop to do tranny, transaxle etc? Costs? My 2004 CS is probably due but I was told by a dealer the transaxle fluid is good for 180K.

It seems like after you total up the parts it's not worth the time and labor to do it yourself. Anyone pay a dealer or Porsche shop to do tranny, transaxle etc? Costs? My 2004 CS is probably due but I was told by a dealer the transaxle fluid is good for 180K.
Dealer will charge you over $700

List price on the filter when I called them was ~$250 and the gasket was ~$80

ATF was ~$47 a liter....which can be bought cheaper elsewhere.

I will be using Mobil 3309 fluid, $6 a quart online, but I will look for it locally.

So $40 filter, $6 o-ring, $60 gasket, $70 ATF, $75 fluid pumper, add $15 shipping for the trans parts grand total of around $265

Also have to get the tools to remove the plugs and jackstands to lift the car up.

But it is still quite a savings.

• 2 weeks later...

What are the correct fluids for the Transmission, Transfer Box and Rear Final Drive? I am wanting to do all three myself and would appreciate any tips or your experience with this.

--I found the TSBs for Approved Oils 3702 and 3965

Edited by woeis

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know a good indie shp in Denver / Boulder Colorado area that does the change for a reasonable price?

Just bought an 06 CTT S with 56k miles on it. Is probably a good idea to have all the fluids changed and things looked at.

What is the service interval for the trans / transfer case / and diffs ?

J

• 2 months later...
service interval for transmission is 200K

can i change atf in a lazy way: without opening the cooler line, simply change out the atf a few times to get rid of most of the old fluid?

well, engine oil change interval is 20k, but i don't run the oil more than 5k in my ctt

In order to have the correct amount of oil in the transmission you need to fill it until fluid emerges from the fill hole when the fluid is 40C. So really you need a durametric or equivalent to do it like Porsche wants. You can change probably over 80% of the fluid without opening the cooler lines. The fill process gets more complicated if you open the cooler lines as well.

Edited by PTEC

In order to have the correct amount of oil in the transmission you need to fill it until fluid emerges from the fill hole when the fluid is 40C. So really you need a durametric or equivalent to do it like Porsche wants. You can change probably over 80% of the fluid without opening the cooler lines. The fill process gets more complicated if you open the cooler lines as well.

Thank you for your input, my friend. Too bad that Durametric doesn't support monitoring the transmission fluid temperature right now. Rumors are V6.0 non-beta software will support it.