Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My roof wont close in my boxster. Need a little help :(

Hi, not sure if im writing in the right place but I need some assistance with my 2001 boxster. Does anyone know if there's a way to put up the top manually without breaking something else.. I tried calling the dealer but they wouldnt help because they want me to come in with it so they can rape me.. The top started to act up in the summer a bit, where the one side was working more than the other. Its been in the garage with the top down for a while now and now that i wanted to close it, it wont go up.. I just want to put the roof up so i dont mess up the back window with the cold. Can anyone help me or guide me in the right direction??

Edited by mgorecki

Hi, not sure if im writing in the right place but I need some assistance with my 2001 boxster. Does anyone know if there's a way to put up the top manually without breaking something else.. I tried calling the dealer but they wouldnt help because they want me to come in with it so they can rape me.. The top started to act up in the summer a bit, where the one side was working more than the other. Its been in the garage with the top down for a while now and now that i wanted to close it, it wont go up.. I just want to put the roof up so i dont mess up the back window with the cold. Can anyone help me or guide me in the right direction??

If "one side was working more than the other", more than likely either one of your plastic ball cups has broken apart and/or popped off its steel ball, or one of your drive cables has come apart or frayed inside its sheath. The first possibility is the most likely.

Although the canvas part of the top can operate with only one ball cup, the telltale sign will be that one side is lagging behind the other on the way up and lurching ahead of the other side on the way down. Once that happens, it's only a matter of time until the other plastic ball cup breaks from the added stress.

If both ball cups are broken, you can operate the canvas part of the top manually after moving the clamshell part into the rearmost (45 degree) position. This is assuming that the electric motor is still driving the cables, which in turn rotate the V-levers and the black "hydraulic" pushrods then move the clamshell.

If there is no motion at all (either from the clamshell or the canvas top) and you don't want to try to diagnonse and repair the mechanism, it's difficult to release the pushrods when the top is in the completely open position as it involves unbolting the V-levers with an offset 19mm box-end wrench.

If your '01 Boxster still has the black plastic cosmetic covers installed over the body-colored support arms of the clamshell, you will have to remove them to expose the 19mm bolts that hold the V-levers in place against the transmissions. Here is a link to an earlier thread that deals with that situation: http://www.renntech....__1#entry212760

That thread also has a link to another site that contains photos of all of the components I am referring to here. If you want to try to get the top working again, let me know and we can diagnose it if you supply more details.

Also, if it's really cold there, start the car and let the engine warm up for a while as the heat from the engine will soften up the plastic window and prevent the possibility of cracking as you raise the top.

One word of caution: If one (or both) of your plastic ball cups has broken apart, the front pushrods will be dangling as the V-levers are rotating. That will cause the front pushrods to dig into and tear the foam drain trays. Any rip or tear in the drain trays will allow water to enter the cabin, where it will promptly find its way under the driver's seat (U.S., left side) and fry the immobiliser. Make sure to check for dampness or water behind and under the seats, as the thick foam rubber will absorb a lot of water before it continues to under the seat.

Regards, Maurice.