Call for Donations - All new donations go towards our 2014 operating expenses. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Photo

Problem with 996 Cab Top

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jnguyen1976

Jnguyen1976

• Members
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted August 24, 2012 - 05:09 PM

Hi everybody! I'm new to this forum and a new porsche 996 owner. I just purchased a 99 911 996 with 78.xxx miles. I love it and no known issues so far. I have this problem and searched the forum with no luck with this. Everytime I put my top up, the other edge of my canvas doesn't go in and hangs on the outside. It;s starting to rip now and happens on both sides. For now I have to push it in manually everytime I put the top up. Here is a picture. Please help! Not sure if anybody else has this problem 911Top.JPG

Edited by Jnguyen1976, August 25, 2012 - 02:31 PM.

#2 fpb111

fpb111

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 352 posts
Neutral

Posted August 27, 2012 - 10:46 AM

There are a couple reasons for that to happen. There is/are elastic straps that go across the top, side to side, that help guide the top into the channel. (with both sides affected I would guess this is the problem) The cables that run along the top from rear to front can become disconnected at one end. More often the front ends pull out of the rivets. Put the top in the service position,1/2 way up, unsnap the ball end socket from the stud and tug on the cable ball end to make sure they are still connected at the front. visit your local Auto top shop.

Edited by fpb111, August 27, 2012 - 10:48 AM.

2003 996 cab Arctic Silver/Metropol Blue

#3 1schoir

1schoir

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 2,754 posts
Outstanding

Posted August 27, 2012 - 10:59 AM

Take a look at this illustrated DIY... It's for Boxster tops, but it will give you an idea of what to look for to solve the problem.

Specifically look at the article entitled "When the Top Edge Doesn't Fall into the Guide Channels", here: https://sites.google...nce

The photo that you attached shows that the top has been having the problem for long enough to cause the vinyl piping on the edge of the top to start to become separated from the canvas edge of the top. You will have to re-sew a small section of the vinyl piping back onto the canvas. It's pretty easy to do if you just put the needle and thread in the exact same holes as the original stitching.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir, August 27, 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#4 Jnguyen1976

Jnguyen1976

• Members
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted August 27, 2012 - 11:02 AM

Thanks guys the problem was the holding strap, it ripped frOm the canvas top,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The RennTech.org site is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org