Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Changed gas tank bleeder valve, now it won't fill!

In the "If it ain't broke" category.  :oops: 

Symptoms:

Hard start when warm, after sitting for 15 minutes or so; intermittent Coke bottle sound (low whistle) at low speed. No problems fuelling car.

Attempted solution:

Changed bleeder valve, also known as fuel tank ventilation valve 99620114301. This valve is not electric but mechanical. The gas cap, when closed tightly, pushes a little piston which opens the valve to recirculate the vapours.

Result:

Can't put gas in the car! Takes about a litre then spits it back out at me!

Okay, so I have obviously :censored:  up royally here. So I tried putting back the old part. Nope. Poked my finger in the filler flap: No click (should there be one?). Checked the E6 fuse. Seems okay. Could it be another valve/switch  or what? And what have I done to cause this, aside from fixing something that wasn't broke? 

2001 Boxster S tip

• Moderators

In the "If it ain't broke" category.  :oops: 

Symptoms:

Hard start when warm, after sitting for 15 minutes or so; intermittent Coke bottle sound (low whistle) at low speed. No problems fuelling car.

Attempted solution:

Changed bleeder valve, also known as fuel tank ventilation valve 99620114301. This valve is not electric but mechanical. The gas cap, when closed tightly, pushes a little piston which opens the valve to recirculate the vapours.

Result:

Can't put gas in the car! Takes about a litre then spits it back out at me!

Okay, so I have obviously :censored:  up royally here. So I tried putting back the old part. Nope. Poked my finger in the filler flap: No click (should there be one?). Checked the E6 fuse. Seems okay. Could it be another valve/switch  or what? And what have I done to cause this, aside from fixing something that wasn't broke? 

2001 Boxster S tip

Check fuse E6, and then read this: http://www.renntech.org/forums/files/getdownload/87-94boxster-fuel-tank-hose-modificationpdf/

• Upvote 1

Yes, E6 was one of the first things I checked. Should I not hear a click when I push on the filler tube flap?

I have also read theTSB. While this is a possibility, it seems a bit too coincidental that this should happen exactly at the same time that I changed the valve. If it turns out to be this, at least it's a cheap fix.

• Moderators

Yes, E6 was one of the first things I checked. Should I not hear a click when I push on the filler tube flap?

I have also read theTSB. While this is a possibility, it seems a bit too coincidental that this should happen exactly at the same time that I changed the valve. If it turns out to be this, at least it's a cheap fix.

You may or may not hear a "click" as it is often faint.

Thanks to Gelbster in the 986 forum for pointing me to this post by Dale_K in the Pelican forum. In fact, it was the magnetic switch which was not inserted into the space provided for it in the valve. It had fallen out when I pulled the old valve but I didn't notice. I did see it but couldn't find any information on it until I saw this post

If this unit isn't working you'll have trouble filling. Also the magnetic switch. A new one comes with a new vent valve.

ventunit001.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Machster, this is the switch you need.

Thanks to Gelbster in the 986 forum for pointing me to this post by Dale_K in the Pelican forum. In fact, it was the magnetic switch which was not inserted into the space provided for it in the valve. It had fallen out when I pulled the old valve but I didn't notice. I [/size]did see it but couldn't find any information on it until I saw this post[/size]

If this unit isn't working you'll have trouble filling. Also the magnetic switch. A new one comes with a new vent valve.[/size]ventunit001.jpg

• 5 years later...

Bless you for this post!

i had disconnected the filler assembly to replace the a/c return line. Like you, I found the coincidence of failure too unlikely.

the mag switch is poorly documented and probably sells a lot of replacement valves...

regards & thanks!