Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996TT Fuel Level Issue

yafacio

Just swapped out fuel pump on an 02 996 TT. Now with a full tank of fuel the gauge shows between 3/4 and 4/4. I have the Durametric stuff but I don't see any type of reset. SO, without having as PST2 or PIWIS access is there any solution to this problem?

Thanks!

• Admin

Calibrating fuel level sensor system

1. Disconnect the battery and cover terminal or battery.

2. Remove cap over the fuel level sensor system.

3. Remove fuel level sensor. Removing and installing fuel pump.

4. Using a fuel extractor, completely drain the fuel tank through the fuel level sensor opening.

5. −Make sure that the two recesses on the left and right−hand sides of the tank are emptied completely.−

6. Reinstall the fuel level sensor and, with "ignition off", fill the tank with exactly 28 liters of fuel.

7. Perform tank calibration with the Porsche System Tester 2:

- Select vehicle type (911 Carrera)

- Select control modules

- Select instrument cluster

- Select menu item "Tank calibration"

- Confirm calibration

8. The fuel level sensor system has now been calibrated.

You really need it to be calibrated with a PIWIS. Happened to me already. The durametrics has no calibration features. Only diagnostics and to erase fault codes.

I have a friend who has a piwis. I just followed the same instructions from Loren on this blog and my gas guage is now OK.

• 7 years later...
  • Admin
8 hours ago, Mrromance1 said:

I replaced on my 04 CS4 fuel pump/fuel sender, and filled with 5 gallons, now i read 1/2, with a full tank. Im thinking calibration or float is impeded.

You need to re-calibrate using the method I described above.

• Admin
8 hours ago, Mrromance1 said:

Im thinking of purchasing a piwis 

Would piwis2 or 3 be compatible.

You can not buy a PIWIS - only lease one for about $18,000 per year.

You might be able to find a used PST2  which is older but will still do everything for your model year car (PST2 supports through MY2006). PST2 were sold to shops before PIWIS and the new leasing plan went into effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Id recommend a PST2 or PIWIS 1   PIWIS 2 is overkill and there are a few issues connecting models prior to 2010 to the new PIWiS 3.  

However the components to make a PST2 are getting scarce do to age and Bosch stopped supporting or making  spare parts for the KTS 520.