Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New to Renntech and a 2005 997 911 6 speed!  After driving it almost a month the air bag light came on. I have always done basic diagnoses and maintenance on all my other vehicles in the past but I am a little overwhelmed by this 911. I purchased the Durametric software/cable and got 3 codes(80BA, C152, and C140). I reset the codes and the 80BA code came back immediately. The 80BA code description in the Durametric software is Triggering unit faulty. My interpretation is a bad sensor or connection to a sensor or the airbag module. I am hesitant to start tooling around on this 911 before I get some feedback. I emailed Durametric and they said to get a workshop manual to find out more details about the code. I purchased a Porsche Workshop Manual off ebay in .pdf format but it lists very few fault codes in the 5,222 pages.
Is there a repair manual that lists out fault codes and possible problems related to the codes?

Also My 911 has 59k on it and has never had the clutch replaced. As soon as it starts slipping I plan on having the clutch, IMS bearing(LN Engineering retro-fit if possible), and Air oil Separator replaced. Any recommendations on a good trusting shop in Fort worth or Dallas Texas will be much appreciated!

• Moderators

New to Renntech and a 2005 997 911 6 speed!  After driving it almost a month the air bag light came on. I have always done basic diagnoses and maintenance on all my other vehicles in the past but I am a little overwhelmed by this 911. I purchased the Durametric software/cable and got 3 codes(80BA, C152, and C140). I reset the codes and the 80BA code came back immediately. The 80BA code description in the Durametric software is Triggering unit faulty. My interpretation is a bad sensor or connection to a sensor or the airbag module. I am hesitant to start tooling around on this 911 before I get some feedback. I emailed Durametric and they said to get a workshop manual to find out more details about the code. I purchased a Porsche Workshop Manual off ebay in .pdf format but it lists very few fault codes in the 5,222 pages.

Is there a repair manual that lists out fault codes and possible problems related to the codes?

Also My 911 has 59k on it and has never had the clutch replaced. As soon as it starts slipping I plan on having the clutch, IMS bearing(LN Engineering retro-fit if possible), and Air oil Separator replaced. Any recommendations on a good trusting shop in Fort worth or Dallas Texas will be much appreciated!

Code 80BA indicates a software error in the air bag control unit.  Often, this ends up with the unit being replaced.

OBD II codes and their meanings were traditionally covered in a separate publication (OBD II Manual) with Porsches.

Thank you!

Do you know where I can get an OBD II Manual? I have heard that Bentley has a great manual that lists the codes but its for a 996 and I have not been able to find one for the 997.

Just to be clear the 80BA code refrences software error in the Airbag Triggering Unit located under the radio or anouther Airbag Control Unit located elsewhere?

• Moderators

Thank you!

Do you know where I can get an OBD II Manual? I have heard that Bentley has a great manual that lists the codes but its for a 996 and I have not been able to find one for the 997.

Just to be clear the 80BA code refrences software error in the Airbag Triggering Unit located under the radio or anouther Airbag Control Unit located elsewhere?

Unfortunately, Porsche stopped publishing these manuals around 2004.  When there were published, they were also pricey, around $2K.  This information is now only available via Porsche's electronic technical subscription service, TSI.

On your car, the controller should be  underneath the forward section of your center console, ahead of the shifter and under the dash, if memory serves.

Wow! Does the computer reset its self if the problem goes away on these cars? I know some systems have to be reset and have a long lag of clearing codes after the problem has been resolved. I will get to the module tonight, disconnect the battery, and make sure the connections are good to the module. I guess outside of that, its replacement time. After I disconnect the battery does the computer have to relearn conditions like most other cars?

• Moderators

Wow! Does the computer reset its self if the problem goes away on these cars? I know some systems have to be reset and have a long lag of clearing codes after the problem has been resolved. I will get to the module tonight, disconnect the battery, and make sure the connections are good to the module. I guess outside of that, its replacement time. After I disconnect the battery does the computer have to relearn conditions like most other cars?

The airbag codes can only be cleared by Porsche specific diagnostic tools such as the Durametric system after the problem is fixed.

Yes, you will lose some things like clock settings, radio presets, window drop on cabriolets, etc. which will need to be relearned.

• 2 weeks later...

Update...I ordered a used airbag Module from ebay for 94.00 and procured it today. I replaced the module and reset the codes with the Durametric system and all codes are staying cleared. Hopefully it will stay that way! if not will go with a new one. Thank you for your help! Love the site and the support!

• 7 months later...

Hi all, I have purchased a C2S with airbag light was indicating some issues. On the diagnostic the fault code was 80E8, which Porsche describes as fault ECU, which needs to be replaced. I have taken the ECU located in the bottom behind the center console out and had it reset and new SW loaded. It was done by a car SW enthusiast, not a official garage. The airbags look OK now, the light goes normally off after a check when turning the ignition on. You can save some good bucks here.

• 2 months later...

My airbag triggering unit failed again and this time I purchased a new one on line. I reset the faults with the durametric software and now it does not show any codes. My airbag light flashes about once a second now. I have also noticed that the passenger side seat belt buckle shows open in durametric values no matter what. In the durametric software it shows the POSIP triggering status to be not locked. Does this new triggering unit need to be activated by a special device or something? Any help on this subject will be appreciated!

• Moderators

My airbag triggering unit failed again and this time I purchased a new one on line. I reset the faults with the durametric software and now it does not show any codes. My airbag light flashes about once a second now. I have also noticed that the passenger side seat belt buckle shows open in durametric values no matter what. In the durametric software it shows the POSIP triggering status to be not locked. Does this new triggering unit need to be activated by a special device or something? Any help on this subject will be appreciated!

The system is never going to be happy with a seat belt fault, so that problem needs to be addressed and corrected first.

Yes, the system needs to be coded to the car, your Durametric should be capable of this on a 997.

• Moderators

A new Airbag Control unit also needs to be locked as well as coded.  Not sure if the Durametric will carry out the locking process.

It does on some cars, but not all.  Also not sure if this function is limited to Pro version; would need to check with Durametric to be sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I replaced the seat belt buckle on the passenger side and the circuit still says its open all the time in Durametric. Just to be clear it does not have a seat belt light or anything just while looking at the values in Durametric the circut never reads anything else but open on the passenger side.  I took it into the dealer and at first they told me that the module is plug and play so no need to code it to the car. Than they said everything was ok according to their diagnostic systems.They told me they would need at least a half day to trouble shoot to why the airbag light is flashing. I got nervous about leaving it with them because of conflicting information. I was about to leave and they than told me that the module did need to be coded to the car. They also told me that if I had my old module they could code it in about an hour if they could get the old information out of it. They went on to tell me that it would take several hours if they could not access the info of the old module. This really made me nervous because last year when the air bag module went out(due to connecting the battery while the key was in the ignition) I replaced it with a $94.00 used one off of ebay. I did not have to code anything. I do remember having to pull the fuse for the instrument cluster to get the light out and clear the code in Durametric software but that was it. The used module worked great for a year.

Does anyone have documentation or instructions on how to code modules to the 997 using the Durametric application?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi all, I have a 2005 C2S and when I got the car from previous owner, it had the airbag error 80E8. The manual says the ECU is faulty and needs to be replaced. I took it out and had it reset and loaded with new SW and it works fine since then for more than a year now. The whole operation took two days and I paid $60 to the SW guy.

• 3 years later...

Replying to this older thread.

My 2005 997.1 had same code 80BA, I replaced module under center console with new unit. Tried resetting SRS light with durametric enthusiast model and does not work. All i get is a constant airbag blinking light on dash?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Danny

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, motosport3 said:

Hi all, is there a write up on how to replace the module under the center console? I also have the 80BA crop up in the last week for my 2005 997 C2S.

You will still need access to a PIWIS unit to correctly code the module after it is installed.  The module itself is a couple of fasteners and a wiring harness plug. 

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 5/12/2021 at 1:13 PM, motosport3 said:

Hi all, is there a write up on how to replace the module under the center console? I also have the 80BA crop up in the last week for my 2005 997 C2S.

The Trigger unit faulty codes can happen if the battery is disconnected, or goes dead when the key is in the ignition.  The key does not have to be on, just in the ignition.  Every time this happens the Airbag sees this as a "Crash"  these modules will say the unit is faulty after 3 "Crashes".  To reset them, they have to have the crash data cleared.  I have sent mine out to myairbags.com to get them reset.  But there are other companies out there that do it.  Here is a You tube link to get the airbag computer out if need be.  In the description, there is another link for manual transmission.  This link is for 997.2 PDK.  I don't know of another way to reset.  But I am sure people here in the community have other ways.

Edited by Design Drive