Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New DVD Navigation Install

I recently installed the Avic D3 Navigation with rear view camera in my 2000 Boxster. Still have a few interior upgrades to do but the navigation system install was a success and really made the interior look phenomenal and updated.

What was needed for the job:

T20 Torx Screwdriver

Phillips Screwdriver

A dremel with cutting wheel

A file to sand down rough edges

Electrical tape & Wiring Caps

Wire Stripper

Double Din Kit Includes:

Precision cut fascia (trim) piece in Piano Finish to match Pioneer System

Double Din Housing & Brackets

Double Din Custom Support Bracket for Porsche

Heat Shield, Complete Wiring Harnesses, Antenna Adapter & Radio Removal Keys

Some of the things I really like about my new system is that I know that the install is solid. One of the challenges I noticed other folks had was the weight of the system, and so they elected to have it sit low as possible on the dash. Using the custom support bracket to support the back end of the navigation, and also choosing to mount the double din housing as high up as possible, I was able to keep most of the gap below the system as oppose to the top. And to make sure my stereo stays relatively unaffected by the heat from the climate duct system, I installed a heat shield between the duct and navigation.

The other challenge was that most standard double din navigation systems are a lot smaller than the size of my boxster's opening, so regardless of what I install it was going to make the system appear smaller. Didn't like that look too much, so instead of trying to match up the fascia piece to my car, I went with the piano black fascia piece instead to match it up to the Pioneer system. I think going this route made the fascia piece look like its part of the stereo which gives the illusion that the system is a bit bigger.

Anyways, I posted some of the pics below for everyone to check out!

post-25824-1205887713_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1205887721_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1205887727_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1205887736_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1205887744_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1205889064_thumb.jpg

Edited by trieullionaire

Great great job !

Please, could you give more details about the trim piece with the porsche logo ?

Thanks !

The fascia piece that you're referring to is 3/16" thick plastic. It was cut to match the radius corners of the AVIC D3 and fit right into my Porsche. The fascia fits so nice a snug that it requires no adhesive or snap on buttons. I was very happy with how it turned out. My brother made a 100 of these fascia pieces. Actually, he has a 100 of everything now for install.

The logo was produce by a local sign shop with adhesive on the backing.

That is an awesome job. Do you mind me asking what that set you back approximately? Just curious since I am looking to upgrade my radio soon.

Lets just say at this point, it cost more than the Avic D3 I installed. I purchased my system at Circuit City and they unknowingly gave me free installation. But when I visited their installation department, they told me that they didn't really do work on Porsches nor do they have the materials for it and that I needed to take it to a custom shop. I visited a few of the places and none of them really wanted to do the project to my expectation plus they wanted too much. The install is not rocket science but they sure do make it seems complicated. Went on some of the forums and didn't find anything out there that could give me the fit and finish I was looking for, searched ebay and no luck. So I winded up talking to my brother who does a lot of design and fabrication work. He use to work with metal fabricators, contacted them and had some of our components engineered for use on the boxster. The project turned out really nice and the system is really well supported, I got some requests from other folks interested in it, so my brother winded up ordering extras since we had already paid to have the CAD drawings done up. We did document the installation in case anyone else needed to know how to do the install. I did mine with the GPS just above the windshield, rear view camera, the Vehicle Speed Sensor ( VSS ) for GPS accuracy and the brake bypass so that you can input addresses on the go. The nice thing is fascia or faceplate and the custom bracket will work for Pioneer AVIC-Z2, AVIC-Z1, AVH-P6800DVD and FH-P4200MP as well. I got the project done with my brother instead, solved my problem and hopefully he can make a couple extra bucks helping others out too.

Edited by trieullionaire

I got some requests on the install as well as the wiring from those that are planning on installing a system. I'm working on it on a pdf file and will post it as soon as I'm finish. It'll include the vehicle speed sensor VSS and parking brake bypass as well. I should have pictures & written instructions upload soon.

Now units like the Dension exist, more people can hook up this sort of thing to the MOST bus. I installed a Kenwood 2 din unit and it misses about 1cm to the top in the 2 din (plus a little more) boxster dash - one of your units would be great to finish off. Why don't you sell them if they are oem quality? Just like this guys does for Jeep non standard holes, back to 1 DIN.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/96082_400.htm

That is an awesome job. Do you mind me asking what that set you back approximately? Just curious since I am looking to upgrade my radio soon.

Lets just say at this point, it cost more than the Avic D3 I installed. I purchased my system at Circuit City and they unknowingly gave me free installation. But when I visited their installation department, they told me that they didn't really do work on Porsches nor do they have the materials for it and that I needed to take it to a custom shop. I visited a few of the places and none of them really wanted to do the project to my expectation plus they wanted too much. The install is not rocket science but they sure do make it seems complicated. Went on some of the forums and didn't find anything out there that could give me the fit and finish I was looking for, searched ebay and no luck. So I winded up talking to my brother who does a lot of design and fabrication work. He use to work with metal fabricators, contacted them and had some of our components engineered for use on the boxster. The project turned out really nice and the system is really well supported, I got some requests from other folks interested in it, so my brother winded up ordering extras since we had already paid to have the CAD drawings done up. We did document the installation in case anyone else needed to know how to do the install. I did mine with the GPS just above the windshield, rear view camera, the Vehicle Speed Sensor ( VSS ) for GPS accuracy and the brake bypass so that you can input addresses on the go. The nice thing is fascia or faceplate and the custom bracket will work for Pioneer AVIC-Z2, AVIC-Z1, AVH-P6800DVD and FH-P4200MP as well. I got the project done with my brother instead, solved my problem and hopefully he can make a couple extra bucks helping others out too.

I think the problem leads to the fact that there aren't that many of Porsches around. Companies want to produce aftermarket products for the masses and we'll pretty much left with making our own. That's why this forum rocks, got a lot of tips on DIY, why re-invent the wheel right. Anyhow, we spent a lot time & energy to make sure it look nice but more importantly that it was a solid install all around. But yes, my brother will have a kit on Ebay soon, it will include everything needed for an install (2-din housing, custom support bracket for Porsche, fascia or faceplate, wire harness, antenna adapter, heat shield, screws, wire nuts, radio removal key, and photo instructions). Sure would have been nice to one for my install, I had to research everything to pull all the components together and go from there. Got a few guys in St. Petersburg, FL area wanting us to install for them after seeing my system. Well, thats it for me, gotta find a reason now to go for a drive! Happy Easter Everyone!

Edited by trieullionaire

Put me down for one...If you can chenge it slighty for Kenwood..! :D

I think the problem leads to the fact that there aren't that many of Porsches around. Companies want to produce aftermarket products for the masses and we'll pretty much left with making our own. That's why this forum rocks, got a lot of tips on DIY, why re-invent the wheel right. Anyhow, we spent a lot time & energy to make sure it look nice but more importantly that it was a solid install all around. But yes, my brother will have a kit on Ebay soon, it will include everything needed for an install (2-din housing, custom support bracket for Porsche, fascia or faceplate, wire harness, antenna adapter, heat shield, screws, wire nuts, radio removal key, and photo instructions). Sure would have been nice to one for my install, I had to research everything to pull all the components together and go from there. Got a few guys in St. Petersburg, FL area wanting us to install for them after seeing my system. Well, that it for me, gotta find a reason now to go for a drive! Happy Easter Everyone!

What kind of Porsche do you have? If the dash looks the same, no problem. Give me the model name, number and EXACT inside dimensions including the size of 4 radius corners & I'll see if my brother can have his fab shop custom cut one for you. Once again, I stress EXACT measurements, my brother will leave a very small tolerance for error. It may take time, they will have to CAD it 1st, then wait for projects to free up.

Put me down for one...If you can chenge it slighty for Kenwood..! :D

Edited by trieullionaire

I an also interested by this trim..If you could ask your brother....

I hesitate between Avic and Kenwood double din unit.. but I reckon that my 996 console is the same as yours on your boxster...

Please let me know about the trim piece...

Thanks

Here are images of the kit (2-Din housing & brackets, Porsche 986 wire harnesses, antenna adapter, radio removal keys, screws, wire nuts, custom support bracket, heat shield, and fascia (faceplate). I'm almost finish with the photo instructions, just adding as much pertinent information on there as possible. Hopefully I will uploaded tomorrow for everyone, depending on how late I stay up tonight.

post-25824-1206412849_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1206413026_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1206413042_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1206413060_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1206413075_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1206413092_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1206413103_thumb.jpg

post-25824-1206413114_thumb.jpg

Edited by trieullionaire

Softtail,

The odds are pretty good the kit would work for a 996. The wire harness is for different, My brother checked it out before, but he has wire harness for 996.

Yes, he probably has, but the hard thing is the MOST (optic fiber bus). After many searches, I haven't found anybody whos has the answer to this problem : how to connect a new head unit with a MOST bus... :huh:

I did some searching and you're absolutely right. You're optic fiber bus leads to all of your speakers. You would have gut out the entire optic wiring, and replace the all the speakers as well in order to interface with the old school wire harnesses. A major undertaking IMO. I didn't realize you have the new optic fiber bus when I reply in the earlier post.

• Admin
Trieu...What year is your Boxster? Model years 2003-2004, that have the CDR23 (6611-6612) have the Most optical rings. Do you remember the version of CDR you had?

Here is the link that I used to dig this stuff up.

http://www.beckerautosound.com/Porsche/Porsche%20Menu.html

Or... he could download here on this site...

CDR-23 Owners Manual