Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Headlight Removal

1999, 996 C2. Am I missing something? I follow the owners manual but I can't get my headlights out. I used a 5mm Allen (not the Porsche tool kit one) it fits and turns the nylon nut but I can't get either of them out. 180 degrees, 45, 90, 360, 720 clockwise, counter clockwise, I can't get them out. Now I want to wait until later but I don't know if they are loose or locked so I'm really scr...ed!

Help! Any suggestion? I'm at a lose

post-24551-1197054811_thumb.jpg

Thanks All,

In my own defense and by looking at Tool Pants' picture and wvcary's description AND reading the owners manual, I was in fact in the hole which can be seen in Tool Pants' photo on the upper right, half covered by the trunk liner, with the rubber plug! The owner's manual says to "remove the rubbber plug" but the light removal hole has no plug in my car but he upper one does. That was the problem. Now I have to make sure all of the twisting and turning of that nylon socket didn't screw anything else up.

Got it now. Life just like cars, everything is easy once you get it in the right hole.

Thanks again.

Gary

• Moderators

When you said allen and nylon I knew you were in the wrong hole....

That is how you adjust the beams, not remove the headlight.

At our local work on cars days we get to see cars that are on the second and third owners. Sometimes we see a car and the ROUND plug you need to remove to insert a headlight removal tool is missing. If I hunt around I can usually find it because it was dropped behind the trunk carpet. Or inside the trunk. I once found one in the storage pocket for the spare tire.

Second picture shows the tool from the tool kit in the proper hole to unlock/remove the headlight. The factory tool is usually a sloppy fit so I use a 5 mm socket, 1/4" drive.

post-4-1197143821_thumb.jpg

post-4-1197144484_thumb.jpg

When you said allen and nylon I knew you were in the wrong hole....

That is how you adjust the beams, not remove the headlight.

At our local work on cars days we get to see cars that are on the second and third owners. Sometimes we see a car and the ROUND plug you need to remove to insert a headlight removal tool is missing. If I hunt around I can usually find it because it was dropped behind the trunk carpet. Or inside the trunk. I once found one in the storage pocket for the spare tire.

Second picture shows the tool from the tool kit in the proper hole to unlock/remove the headlight. The factory tool is usually a sloppy fit so I use a 5 mm socket, 1/4" drive.

Be super careful with the included 5mm tool... Mine for some reason got stuck in the hole and I could not pull it out (tried with pliers, diff leverage, everything). I read somewhere here they get caught... after some very careful wiggling it unlocked and I got the tool out... but going forward I use a screwdriver with 5mm hex wrench on it. Very scary.