Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

GT3 Suspension on C2 Cabrio

• Admin

I would start by comparing the alignment specs and ride heights (see below):

Carrera

carrera_ride_height.gif

alignment.gif

GT3

gt3_ride_height_mk1.gif

gt3_alignment_mk1.gif

A PSS9 (or H&R Coilovers for that matter) are coilover shocks that are completely adjustable (within a range). The X74 kit is very stiff shocks and springs and reenforcements for the stiffer components. Cars built before MY2002 do not have the additional chassis reinforcement needed for an X74 kit. My understanding is that you can go back and weld those components in but the factory does not recommend it.

Both will lower your car more than RoW M030 Sport suspension will. With the coilover option you can go even lower as they are intended for racing.

What is your goal? I ask because at some point you may have a car that is very hard to drive on the street without risk of engine damage etc..

hey Loren,

are the suspension on GT3 the same as X74 for Carrera?

and compare X74 to the PSS9, what are the main differents?

cheers,

Tony

GT3 suspension and X74 are totally different. The GT3 doesn't just have different shocks, springs, and sway bars but many of the suspension parts are different as well, including the front uprights, front and rear control arms, the rear cross member, most of the bushings, etc. The front uprights are designed for the GT3 brakes, so you'll have to change them as well. Schatz Motorsports sells a kit of the parts necessary to do this for $12.5K. You can figure another couple grand for installation and set-up.

The problem with trying to make a Carrera into a GT3 is that you'll end up spending more than just buying a GT3.

Karl

hey Loren,

what do they mean by "From wheel contact surface to the locating bore in the rear-axle side section", where is, do you have a pic to make it clearer for me?

KarlS, you are right about make-over from Carrera to a GT3, for us here in Germany, you could get a decent GT3 (360PS) for about 60k so it doesn't make any point for that.

but in my case I would like to get a harder ride in high-speed curves and you could do that with progressive springs e.g. H&R & co. or full justable suspension e.g. PSS9.

> most of the progtessive spring will propably be to low for me, -30mm

> justable suspension will give me what I want all-around -20mm

but of course, H&R spring compares to the PSS9 in cost, hmmm....

you figure it out if it really worth, so if can get a set of used suspension from the GT3 would propable be reasonable solution, point of cost I mean?

cheers,

Tony

• Admin

Front Axle Measurement

front_axle_measurement.gif

Rear Axle Measurment

rear_axle_measurement.gif

IMHO... If you just want a firmer ride then go with the X74. If you want to be able to adjust the ride height the go with a coilover kit.

As Karl said just putting the suspension components on a Carrera won't work. You will also need GT3 wheel carriers and control arms front and rear, etc. If you want GT3 type handling the closest you are going to get is with coilovers and GT3 swaybars (unless you buy a GT3 of course). Good Luck on you decision...

• 1 year later...

Hi, my name's Steve I have just joined and would firstly like to say how impressed I am with all the technical help I've have ploughed through with the search facility so far.

I own a 1999 996 C4 coupe. UK spec RHD with 6 speed, 18" sport design alloys :king:

I am looking to upgrade my suspension and get a more GT3 type ride.

The car will be used as a daily drive with some (but not much) track time.

My question is, if I go for H&R springs, coilovers and GT3 sway bars (which I am 99% sure I am) is it more advisable to use X74 wheel alignment values or can I use the GT3 values. I want to lower 30mm but wouldn't be able to go farther than that as I have a full Mk1 GT3 aero kit and the front lip is quite low already.

Thanks, great site :clapping:

Steve