Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

OBC with 04 C4S cluster in 01 Boxster S

I connected my switch for OBC with instructions from OBC hack

I did follow connections for 2001 986. Results: I have OBC, but I cannot control it properly. I can get the reset display to come up and scroll down, but I cannot reset anything.

Also, I cannot change the 2nd line. It shows 'how many mls to empty'.

l_52c706fa10a0943b969b28160c323b24.jpg

l_78b82a6d512ea35f50923641605767f7.jpg

I guess clusters pins are different than 01 Boxters? I connected the switch to pins #22 and #24. I saw somewhere ( Found it )that 996 needs them to be connected to pins #21 and #25. Is that correct for 2004 C4S cluster?

Thanks,

Edited by LowFlyR

• Moderators

22 and 24 is correct for your year. At least that is what we use when doing the retrofit that does not involve a cluster swap. When we do the OBC retrofit you cannot change the miles to empty. The third wire from the switch goes to ground.

The OBC retrofits I know of with a dot matrix cluster were done with the stalk, not a switch.

OBC retrofits to the dot matrix cluster using a switch work fine, but that's when it is to an existing cluster, and you get the old-type display.

The pin connections on the wiring diagrams for the early and late clusters are:

Early Cluster:

White plug #II

Pin 20 - Lever up - stalk pin 2

Pin 21 - Lever down - stalk pin 3

Pin 22 - Lever front - stalk pin 4

Pin 25 - Lever rear - stalk pin 5

Late Cluster:

Grey plug C

Pin 21 - Lever front - stalk pin 4

Pin 22 - Lever down - stalk pin 3

Pin 23 - Lever up - stalk pin 2

Pin 24 - Lever rear - stalk pin 5

Pin 25 - Lever inside - stalk pin 6

Edit: Pin 1 on the stalk goes to ground.

Therefore, you have your switch connected to the correct pins - I just don't think you have enough controls to navigate the menus on the new cluster.

Pin 25 on the new cluster has always been a mystery to me. The stalks are all the same - new or old cluster - but the wiring diagram shows this extra connection. It doesn't seem to be connected inside the stalk though. If anyone else works out what this is for, let me know and put me out of my misery. :huh:

Edited by Richard Hamilton

22 and 24 is correct for your year. At least that is what we use when doing the retrofit that does not involve a cluster swap. When we do the OBC retrofit you cannot change the miles to empty.

The OBC retrofits I know of with a dot matrix cluster were done with the stalk, not a switch.

I guess I need to poke all pins 20-25 and verify what they do in this 01 986 S car / 04 C4S cluster combo...

I cannot afford the stalk at the moment, so I need to figure out if this can be done with one switch. Pushing the switch gets OBC to react. Left side press scrolls the different screens and pressing the other side pulls out the reset screen. While on the reset screen: Left scrolls down and right press returns to original screen. Also, only thing I can reset is the trip (with left side peg), but cannot see trip without going to the reset screen.

I need to find one local car who has OBC on, so I could see how it is supposed to function. I've never looked at one...

Thanks for the help, I try to get to this after work...

• Moderators

Something is going on with the dot matrix cluster that started in 2002.

This guy noticed that the wiring diagram shows 5 wires for the OBC on the instrument cluster connector. Prior to 2002 there are just 4 wires for the cluster connector.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...039&hl=wire

When we make the harness for the OBC stalk we use 5 wires. Slot 1 on the stalk connector is the ground wire, and slots 2-5 go to the cluster connector. There is a 6th slot in the stalk connector but we do not use it as there is no wire in this slot.

Here is a picture of the OBC stalk connector and you can see there are just 5 wires, and an unused slot. But Loren's diagram shows a 6th wire, A6 is the 6th wire. All the slots are used on Loren's diagram.

Every OBC retrofit I have done the stalk connector had 5 wires, not 6, but Loren's diagram shows 6. Then there is the instrument cluster connector with a wire in slot C25, which I guess would be for a 6th wire from the stalk connector. So I am seeing 6 wires being used with the dot matrix cluster. On paper at least.

But if you look at PET there is only one OBC stalk listed. As I said other people have put in the dot matrix cluster and there was no need for a 6th wire. But those people used the stalk, not a switch, and I don't know if that is the cause of your issue.

So, slot C5-lever inside on the cluster connector and slot A6 on the stalk connector are a mystery to me. All I know at this time is it is shown on the wiring diagrams.

For the time being, LowFlyR, what switch are you using and I would like to see a picture of the back of the switch to see how you hooked up the wires to the switch.

post-4-1195492647_thumb.jpg

Sorry guys. :renntech:

I probably bothered you for nothing. It looks like I need to get a 4-stalk or at least 2nd switch. I added wires to #21 & #23 and grounding them (one at time) I was able to control the whole OBC. With the switch I had connected and 2 new wires I have all 4 stalk positions. :D

I just gotta wait until I can get the 4-stalk.

Thanks,

• 5 months later...
I just gotta wait until I can get the 4-stalk.

I finally was able to finish my OBC install. I found full 4-stalk switch assembly from a dismantler in Seatle for only $55 shipped! Now I can fully control the OBC. I only added the 4th stalk and I did not even take my steering wheel off. Here is 4th stalk installed:

l_f16b92495ab01e94a2cc1cb07935625b.jpg

And here is a screen of the OBC:

l_f4f4c0390bb93261c6806a8afc7ea269.jpg

This one is done, now I must tackle my fuel gauge issue... :thankyou:

The OBC stalk is held on to the side of the main stalk unit with 2 screws - it's a detatchable unit, but not available as a separate part (AFAIK). I guess you must be able to take off the steering column covers without removing the steering wheel from what LowFlyR is saying.

The OBC stalk is held on to the side of the main stalk unit with 2 screws - it's a detatchable unit, but not available as a separate part (AFAIK). I guess you must be able to take off the steering column covers without removing the steering wheel from what LowFlyR is saying.

I have 3-spoke steering wheel. I don't know if this works with 4-spoke.

Turn steering 90deg to right to access 2 right screws behind it, then same to the left.

Unscrew 1 screw both sides located in the middle of the column.

Then you can separete column halves. I left bottom one there and just took off the top one.

After that it is pretty easy to see where 4th stalk attaches.

I purchased the whole assembly, but when I saw that I don't have to take the wheel of this way....

Hope this helps. I gotta go pick up an Aerokit II Decklid with spoiler, but I'll be back later.

Edited by LowFlyR

• 1 year later...
OBC retrofits to the dot matrix cluster using a switch work fine, but that's when it is to an existing cluster, and you get the old-type display.

Early Cluster:

White plug #II

Late Cluster:

Grey plug C

Therefore, you have your switch connected to the correct pins - I just don't think you have enough controls to navigate the menus on the new cluster.

Pin 25 on the new cluster has always been a mystery to me. The stalks are all the same - new or old cluster - but the wiring diagram shows this extra connection. It doesn't seem to be connected inside the stalk though. If anyone else works out what this is for, let me know and put me out of my misery. :huh:

I am experiencing the same issue regarding not being able to rest the OBC.

I have control up and down as well as forward for the speed set control I just do not get a RESET on my mileage.

I have a 2001 MY 986. I have 5 wires from my harness connecting to the 4th stalk.

I know for sure that pins 22 & 23 control correctly and which ever pin is controlling forward motion on the stalk I don't know if that is considered front?

the issue seems to be with the opposing motion (that would control the reset.) Can anyone clarify the pin arrangement. it seems that everywhere I look I get the same pin wiring diagram.

Edited by drem914

• Admin

Early Cluster:

White plug #II

Late Cluster:

Grey plug C

I have control up and down as well as forward for the speed set control I just do not get a RESET on my mileage.

I have a 2001 MY 986. I have 5 wires from my harness connecting to the 4th stalk.

I know for sure that pins 22 & 23 control correctly and which ever pin is controlling forward motion on the stalk I don't know if that is considered front?

the issue seems to be with the opposing motion (that would control the reset.) Can anyone clarify the pin arrangement. it seems that everywhere I look I get the same pin wiring diagram.

Late cluster (MY01 and newer)

post-1-1243351347_thumb.png

Early Cluster:

White plug #II

Late Cluster:

Grey plug C

Late cluster (MY01 and newer)

post-1-1243351347_thumb.png

Loren are you saying that I need to have 6 cables coming from the stalk harness?

I understand lever right, left, front and rear, but what is meant by the description "Lever Inside". I don't have a switch on the end of the stalk and can't push it in.

The factory wiring diagrams are wrong, there is no 'lever inside' connection. As Loren states, A1 goes from the stalk to ground, the other wires go to the cluster from the stalk.

-Todd

Thanks. Just picked up the extra wires at the local VW dealer to complete the connection from pin 6 on the stalk plug to pin 25 on the dash plug. Now that I have taken it apart before should be a snap to do this weekend.

(update 06/01:) Now having installed the last wire from position #6 on the stalk harness to #25 on the gray connector. no change in function. I still am unable to reset the MPG display or mileage from the stalk. I can reset trip mileage using the odometer reset button, but that is it. any suggestions on resetting the the OBC without having to always disconnect the battery? That will get old real quick.

Edited by drem914

(update 06/01:) Now having installed the last wire from position #6 on the stalk harness to #25 on the gray connector. no change in function. I still am unable to reset the MPG display or mileage from the stalk. I can reset trip mileage using the odometer reset button, but that is it. any suggestions on resetting the the OBC without having to always disconnect the battery? That will get old real quick.

Try getting it hooked up to a PIWIS/PST2/Durametric tester. This will allow you to read the input signals from each movement direction of the stalk.

Next time at the shop I will have that done since I don't have access to a tester.

You don't need a tester, just pull the gray connector off of the cluster and check that the pins go to ground when you push the stalk in the direction the pin corresponds to.

-Todd

I just thought that it might be an easy way for him to check the wiring without removing anything. It would be an easy way to check if everything is connected properly as it will give a visual display of the state of each switch and be able to see not only that they all operate in the correct sense, but that two aren't operating at the same time. We all know that this hack works, so it's my suspicion that something isn't wired correctly, or the stalk is faulty.

• 2 weeks later...
You don't need a tester, just pull the gray connector off of the cluster and check that the pins go to ground when you push the stalk in the direction the pin corresponds to.

-Todd

Sorry, but not sure what you mean by the "pins go to ground" when the stalk is pushed. Can you elaborate? Can I check this with a simple volt meter?

Pin 1 goes to ground, when you move the switch, the contacts close and the different pins are now taken to ground. That is what triggers the response in the cluster. So connect your ohm meter to one of the pins on the gray cluster, the other to ground and push the switch in the direction that corresponds to the pin on the gray connector you are testing. The circuit should close, if it doesn't you have a problem with your wiring or with the switch.

-Todd