Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

LED Daytime running / Fog lights installed

I decided to add some more visibility/minor front modification this weekend.

More than anything, I wanted some sort of working Daytime Running Lights. but rigging my 2 front headlights wasn't good enough for me.

I just don't like the look when they are lit up during the day time, also there are times I just want to look kool <_<

started looking for a pair of fog lights, something that could fit in a 986's bumper(no cutting ,holes)+could be well integrated+high visibility!

Tools U will need - 1 pair LED Lights, 4 butt splice connector, wire stripper, 12V tester

working Time - Approximately 45 minutes that's with drinking 2 bottles of Heineken

I ended up going with this LED fog's,Super white w/ slight tint of purplish blue <- just what I was looking for(4.5" x 0.5").

post-23680-1200787713_thumb.jpg

I found out that the easiest way to run the wires would had to be through the front headlight housing

both front headlights were removed to feed the wires

post-23680-1200787862_thumb.jpg

mounted, tapped W/ Ignition ACC

post-23680-1202436840_thumb.jpg

She is all finished,looking better than ever :)

post-23680-1200865595_thumb.jpg

Edited by juniinc

Great idea, where did you find them? Were they expensive?

This is all I could find: http://cgi.ebay.com.hk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...;category=28645

I am looking for something like that to run off of the headlight circuit (now unused because of a HID kit), it may satisfy the computer check for the 'dipped light' message...

Edited by Westcoaster

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks speedster! yup many ppl like em,,,

yup I could've gotten something bigger but then I 'll have to modify my S front grill.

Yes , it would be cool to have matching led front signals.

It looks great!!! Any a little bigger, like the turbo? Think about hooking it up to the turn signal relay? That may look cool too.
Edited by juniinc

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to let you know that I think it looks great. I am thinking about doing something similar, so I can have running lights without burning out my headlight bulbs. I was wondering if you could help me out with a few questions.

How did you attach the LED lights to the grill?

Did you run the wires up under the bumper then through the headlight opening to the trunk?

Where did you tap into the ignition power?

Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment! Rick

1.used a pair of 3M double sided tape that came with-alcohol well cleaned+tiny drop of clear silicone adhesive

post-23680-1213726625_thumb.jpg

2.yes but not under the bumper. Once U removed the head housing, will be able to fish the wire inside the bumper

3.power consumption for these lights is almost 0 :D , tapped with phone ready switched circuit in the bottom center console

I just wanted to let you know that I think it looks great. I am thinking about doing something similar, so I can have running lights without burning out my headlight bulbs. I was wondering if you could help me out with a few questions.

How did you attach the LED lights to the grill?

Did you run the wires up under the bumper then through the headlight opening to the trunk?

Where did you tap into the ignition power?

Thanks!

Edited by juniinc