Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Remove Driver Side Air Vent

Anyone know how to remove the driver's side dash air vent? I'm going to attempt to install a porsche self-dimming mirror with its 5 page instructions, which includes removal of drivers seat (going to try to avoid that step). Doesn't seem much more complicated than installing a V1, but In hindsight, a donnelly mirror seems cheaper and easier to install.

Thanks,

Andrew

03 C4 Cab

• Admin

dash_vent.gif

Pull forward the control button (25) of the light switch (31) as far as it will go (direction of the arrow) towards the front. Press in the locking device at the lower side using a small screwdriver and remove the control button towards the front. Undo the fastening screws (21) at the side, remove the side vent towards the front. Disconnect the plug connection (30) of the main light switch.

You will need to remove the seat to hook up the reverse wire for the mirror. The reverse wire disables the self dimming when you put the car in reverse. The seat is not hard to remove as long as you have a Torx E12 (E is for external) socket. Sears as well as other tool places have these.

• Admin

Yes. Do NOT put the key in the ignition while you are removing the seat... as this can trigger the airbag warning light. Not the airbag itself but the warning light -- if that happens it must be cleared with a diagnostic tool (PST2 or OBD II). If you want to be extra safe then disconnect the battery.

• Moderators

The interior mirror? We did it on a Boxster and ran the wires without removing the vent. You have to remove the seat to get to the reverse gear signal wire. We did not disconnect the battery so we could test the mirror before we put everything back together. The wiring harness that goes to the bottom of the seat is very long, so we did not disconnect it and just laid the seat on it's side outside the car. Jeff

henry_mirror_007.sized.jpg

henry_mirror_017.sized.jpg

henry_mirror_010.sized.jpg

henry_mirror_016.sized.jpg

• Moderators

ToolPants.....I have the interior self-dimming mirror in the box on the shelf waiting to put it into my incoming GT3. I have the TSB on the official install process. If I don't care about the reverse-gear-undimming feature, can I simplify the install process and just leave that part out/off/unconnected?

Thanks in advance.....

• Moderators

I do not see why not, since the TSB says the function is disabled when in reverse so if the wire is not hooked up then it will work in reverse and you will back-up into all the stuff behind your car. :o

You have to run wires to the relay support and hooking up the reverse may take another 20 minutes.

A bit of trivia. The mirror in the first page of the TSB is upside down.

I would also make sure there are no electrical changes to a GT3 vs. an 996. We put in the mirror in Henry's 2000 2.7 Boxster and hooked up the 2 wires to the bridge as stated in the Boxster TSB. It did not work and we could not figure out why since we followed the instructions. Then we looked at the 996 TSB and it said to hook up the wires to different slots then what was stated in the Boxster TSB. Both TSBs for Boxster and 996 were issued the same day, but only the 996 TSB mentioned wiring changes. Then Henry switched the wires on his Boxster to follow the 996 TSB and it worked. Jeff

• 5 years later...

a little assist here please...

im trying to replace my light switch(31)... got to removing the control switch(25) and removing the screws(21) but the side vent unit is not pulling or sliding off. it seems pretty well seated. do i need to pry it off? is the vent unit tabbed in? i dont want to unnecessarily to try and pry it off if i dont need to.

thanks for any assist.