Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Good Morning! Hey everyone I am curious about the type of ride comfort everyone gets while driving there 996. Let me first tell you that the 996 I currently have is my first and only one ever driven. Here in MI the roads are very horrible and bumpy, so I find the ride to be very harsh and rough. (MY996 may be able to vouch for this?) I was wondering is this how all 996's feel or do I need to replace my suspension with something better than stock? Thanks!

My '00 C2 coupe has the standard suspension. With the 17" wheels/tires the ride was almost plush. Small bumps were not noticeable and larger bumps were lightly felt through the steering wheel and the seats.

With the 18" the ride is far harsher. However, turn in and overall handling and balance are improved.

I may end up keeping the 17"s for winter use. If I lived in the midwest (where there are two seasons: winter and road repair) I'd probably keep a set of 17"s on it for most driving.

Your 996 should be fine. As others said, 17" rims make more sense in most US roads and more so in MI roads. A 911 gives you a total feel of the road as a true sports car should.

The other thing to look at is the condition of your tires. If you do not drive much and the car sits, you may have flat spots, and you may need to replace tires. These cars should be driven, they should not sit.

Type of tire makes a difference. Contis are very hard and noisy, Pirelli Rosso (and only Rosso) and Michelin are quieter.

Tire pressure is also an issue. The factory recommendations are way too high. On 18" rims they recommend 36 front, 44 rear - I settled on 33 front, 39 rear.

With respect to tire pressures, if you drive in an area with rough roads and potholes (nowhere could be worse than DC), I highly recommend running the factory recommended pressures. I use a Porsche gauge and follow the recommended 2.5 bar front and 3.0 bar rear. If you run lower pressures, your chances of damaging a rim on a pothole increase significantly. Just my 2 cents.

With respect to ride quality, it sounds like perhaps you just are getting used to a true sports car. I had to get rid of my stock suspension because it seemed way too soft and plush for my tastes. The new setup with PSS9s and GT3 swaybars is much more to my tastes, although it is much firmer than stock.

If MI roads are anywhere as bad as DC roads, I would check your tires at least once a week. I think that the downside to low profile performance tires is that they take more of a beating on rough roads. When I first started dating the woman who eventually became my wife, she was constantly bending rims and getting flats on her '97 328is. It took me awhile to realize it, but the problem was really tire pressure. Once I started checking her tire pressure religiously, she had no more problems. I have never had problems on any of my cars in DC since I started checking very frequently.

If MI roads are anywhere as bad as DC roads, I would check your tires at least once a week.  I think that the downside to low profile performance tires is that they take more of a beating on rough roads.  When I first started dating the woman who eventually became my wife, she was constantly bending rims and getting flats on her '97 328is.  It took me awhile to realize it, but the problem was really tire pressure.  Once I started checking her tire pressure religiously, she had no more problems.  I have never had problems on any of my cars in DC since I started checking very frequently.

DC road are so bad! I used to joke that I could tell whenever I crossed over the DC line from Maryland as the road conditions must rival Baghdad.

I'll also make sure to constantly check my air pressure! :cheers:

Chronos:

You are so right :( I live right in Georgetown, and to make the potholes worse, there is the whole Georgetown reconstuction project. I guess getting rid of exploding manholes that fling manhole covers like frisbees is a good thing, but it is a major pain in the meantime. If I didn't like my Targa so much, I would consider a Pepper.

TD in DC :cheers:

I just checked my rears on the 17in rims and they were at 41psi.  I reduced it to 38-39psi.

If you run 17"rims the factory quotes 36 front 36 rear cold. You are above factory numbers !? I would try 33/33.

By running 17"rims you already have a softer ride than w/ 18".

Edited by ADias

Chronos:

You are so right  :( I live right in Georgetown, and to make the potholes worse, there is the whole Georgetown reconstuction project.  I guess getting rid of exploding manholes that fling manhole covers like frisbees is a good thing, but it is a major pain in the meantime.  If I didn't like my Targa so much, I would consider a Pepper.

No kidding. The joke is that SUVs became so popular in the US due to the poor quality of our road surfaces. We should instead vote out of office the guys who are responsible for road maintenance.

Chronos:

You are so right  :(   I live right in Georgetown, and to make the potholes worse, there is the whole Georgetown reconstuction project.  I guess getting rid of exploding manholes that fling manhole covers like frisbees is a good thing, but it is a major pain in the meantime.  If I didn't like my Targa so much, I would consider a Pepper.

No kidding. The joke is that SUVs became so popular in the US due to the poor quality of our road surfaces. We should instead vote out of office the guys who are responsible for road maintenance.

I was in California a couple of years ago (NorCal) and was amazed at how badly the roads and the freeways had deteriorated! <_<

Due to traffic patterns there are times that I'm forced to cross through DC (NW) to get home. I'll be driving up Macarthur for the first time tomorrow since installing the 18"s and am not looking forward to it.

I understand that highway funds are an easy target (read:bank) when a state is facing financial crises.

Edited by Chronos

Chronos,

DO NOT SPEED ON MacArthur! They have installed cameras that will send you nice little pictures of you speeding requesting a donation to the DC government. I keep receiving pictures of my wife that way, and although I love seeing my wife, I cannot stand making additional contributions to my local government. The road is pretty smooth, though, so the 18s (which I have) should be fine.

TD in DC

I JUST received a photo radar shot of me on Macarthur! $50 to the city. Argh. Many thanks for the warning though!

Last night we got a babysitter and drove down Wisconsin to get dessert at Sequoia's. Wisconsin in Georgetown is simply the worst street I've ever driven on! My car constantly bottomed out even at low speeds. That reconstruction project must take a heavy toll on cars around there. :cursing: