Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anyone got a URL for install instructions for the short shifter? I know TP is working on a DVD , but I was hoping someone had a web page like Loren's DIY for the 3rd radiator install. I need the book, can't wait for the movie!!

thanks

Keith

It will come w/instructions. They are pretty good, be sure and mark the cables and put the adjustment screw towards the front of the car for easy access. Tools you will need (from memory)

20 & 30 torx - needlenose pliers, rubber mallet & and an hour or two.

BM.jpg

• Moderators

I agree the B&M instructions are ok EXCEPT they do not tell you to mark the location of the shift cables before you remove the cables from the holders.

Of course the DVD is much better as we did the install on 2 Boxsters and 2 996's and tried to do each install a little bit different. My friend Henry is in charge of putting all 3 DVDs together of various projects as I do not even own a digital video camera, and I delayed thigs as originally it was just 2 Boxsters but I wanted to include at least 1 996 so we shot more video. He is in Italy now but gave me a copy of the 4 B&M installs and they came out ok. He will be back August 8th it you want to wait. Otherwise just follow the instructions. Jeff

I'll echo what has already been said, just make sure you mark the cables (tape will work) before you remove them. This will give a fairly good , albeit approximate, install. If you really want to be sure, get the special tool from Porsche that locates the stock shifter to TDC (costs about $8) and then mark the cables as they line up in the stock shifter while in neutral. Sounds a little redundant but when I used this technique I found the cable insertion was off by a few threads from the factory. Maybe they do some fine adjustment before it leaves the line, but the B&M feels a lot better now especially going into 1st. :cheers:

• 1 year later...

Before you follow the B&M instructions, do yourself a favor and check the earlier posts describing the "disconnect at the shifter" method (which I used, as well). You don't have to mark the cables--they never get disconnected; you simply snap off the clip attached to the bottom of the old shifter, and reattach it to the new one. The cables remain exactly the same and there is zero need for measuring or adjusting. Also, you should spray some good lubricant into the moving shifter parts before you close everything up: it makes a huge difference in terms of smoothness.

Edited by bavarian