Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Adjusting the door window height

Guys here is another one I am fixing now/at least I am trying to fix

My driver side door window squeak, I traced any possible clues and looked at the work shop manual. on 57-6 Page 4. It has a few sentenses describing how to adjust the door window height etc. The window glass is rubbing against the door seal when I hit a bump. Quite unpleasant sound. It was caused by my last visit when the dealer tried to fix my power window.

I searched through the door (opened it and also looked under the 4 holes under the door. I couldn't figure out how to adjust the window height like the manual described.

Anyone knows how to do this. It should be a simple fix.. I just need to find which screws.

The manual says

"Adjust the uppper limit stops of the drivers by screwing the Torx screw T30) in or out with socket E6 in or against the direction of travel. (ha.. )

... also accessible throught 2 holes at the bottom of the door.

• Upvote 1

Another possible solution is Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick. The dealer used this on the weather strip on my last Carrera and the squeak went away. They gave me a bottle and told me to apply it every 6 months or so to avoid squeaks.

• Moderators

The Boxster shop manual says the same thing. Hard to understand.

I have never done this but I have an extra regulator and I played around with it a few months ago to see how it works.

There is a clamp on each side of the regulator for the glass. By adjusting the height of the clamp you adjust the height of the glass. Each clamp has a male torx screw to adjust the height.

There are 2 round oval rubber plugs at the bottom of the door. Those plugs must be for adjusting the height with a tool through the opening. You can see my E7 female torx driver in the picture and it is on the screw. My regulator is an E7, not an E6 like the shop manual says.

post-2-1093286989_thumb.jpg

I probably will try both.. using the gel and adjusting the regulator. The picture provided by guru is quite clear. I couldn't tell what it is from the shop manual.

Thanks guys!! This is a great site. With all the helps, you think I should pop in a turbo engine for my next project? :D

god speed.

• 2 weeks later...

TP. Do you see any way to change the bottom stop point? It seems that the only way to get the glass to sit lower in the down position is to loosen the brass colored torx bolts that clamp on to the glass. In my car the glass is already at the bottom of the clamp so I cannot lower it that way.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I finally found the female torx at Sears for $19.99 + the driver for $9.99. Not even Kragen carries them.

The workshop manual actually has the instructions for adjusting the window height and pressure against the door seal (in and out). I will try it when I get my daemon back from Rector. will post the result. Seems easy without opening the door panel from the workshop manual.

• 2 weeks later...

Well.. it turns out to be an easy fix. Went to Sears and pickup the female torx bits (E16 - E6) for $19.95. E6 is the one you need. (looks like Sears is the only store has it). Here is how I did it.

- use an erasable market to mark the upper edge window position with the glass closed

- lower the window (otherwise you can't reach the skrew)

- the hole is under the door. pop the plastic cover (the one on the edge of the door, opposite of the hinge)

- I could lower the window about 1mmfor every full turn (counter clockwise)

test drive, hit a few bumps and try again until you are happy with it. Remember, if you lower the glass window too much, you get wind noise because of the gap. I didn't try the 5mm socket. It probably would work.

Edited by J9000