Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Air Conditioning

Can anyone give me the name of non-dealer shop in the LA area they have used to repair air in a Boxster S. My dealer has quoted around $3,000 to repair a freon leak!

Edited by melav

Ask them what the problem is. They should tell you where it's coming from and what they plan to replace. Then you can do one of two things.

1) If it's a very small, slow leak, refill the freon. Btw, if the dealer tells you they are required to repair the leak before refilling it, they are lying to you so they can do more work and you need to go elswhere. The EPA certification course says refills are fine and asks you to report mechanics who tell you that and they can pull their certification. Since it's R134, you can buy the freon and a guage/filler hose at the local auto shop and have it done for about $30.

2) If it's a fast leak, list them here and we can tell you if they are difficult to get to and replace. If not, you can DIY the job with parts from Sunset Porsche for way less.

Good luck! :cheers:

If you think that the system has lost all its pressure and has been open to atmosphere I wouldn't use the self-refill kits. My aircon guy says they contain sealant that solidifies on contact with water and knows of two drivers who have 1. wrecked their compressor and 2. blocked their expansion valve. Both required costly replacement.

If you think that the system has lost all its pressure and has been open to atmosphere I wouldn't use the self-refill kits. My aircon guy says they contain sealant that solidifies on contact with water and knows of two drivers who have 1. wrecked their compressor and 2. blocked their expansion valve. Both required costly replacement.
That's a great point. If you do a refill yourself, get the cans of freon only. Don't get the ones with oil and/or leak stopper in them. The oil does not leak out so there is no reason to put more in. If it ends up being a leak, you should get it repaired to keep from causing further damage if it suddenly drains out.