Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Circuitry related to the third stop light

Hello dear members and contributors,

I would be pleased to know if you could tell me if the circuity of the third stop braking light is shared

with the circuitry of the fourth brake light please?

I define 'fourth brake light' by the brake light in function when the rear spoiler is raised.

I am asking this question because I have the following problem:

Each time I drive my car, the 'Check raised light' signal appears. As soon as I drive with

spoiler raised, the fourth brake light takes on and I don't have any error messages.

My third brake light is okay (every leds work properlly).

Therefore I wonder if there is some sort of switch or relay I should check in the main circuitry

(I define main circuitry by circuitry related to the third brake light).

My dealer becomes nuts with my car and doesn't even know what to do in order to solve my

problem. He said that connecting the piwis didn't give any problem regarding beams and wires...

I would be happy if someone could bring his contribution so I could solve my problem by

myself.

Thank you.

Model year please?

Did you replace your 3rd brake light with an aftermarket clear LED panel?

Dear Loren,

My car is a 2005 (sept. production), 997 C2. I posted my topic in the 996 forum,

supposing that this problem would have more probabilities to be observed here,

also supposing that the circuitry would also follow the same pattern.

I didn't replace my 3rd brake light with an aftermarket clear LED panel yet.

I'm willing to do it if it's the solution to my problem.

Thank you to let me know what you think. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Edited by poppies

• Admin

In the 997 the rear lights are controlled through a rear light control box. Has your dealer tried changing that out?

I know that they have had problems with the front control box but this is the first I've heard with the rear control.

post-2-1154008184_thumb.jpg

In the 997 the rear lights are controlled through a rear light control box. Has your dealer tried changing that out?

I know that they have had problems with the front control box but this is the first I've heard with the rear control.

Loren,

Thank you for the diagram. I am pretty suremy dealer hasn't even try to change the rear light

control box. At the moment, they sent me back home, me and the car, while "they'll wonder about

this problem". I am sorry to conclude that they are not of great help.

However, your response brings a good chance to finally discover the culprit of this story.

I'll tell them about replacing the rear box. Is the PIWIS capable of telling right away the status

of the rear control box?

I keep the forum posted about this anomaly and its following result.

Thank you.

• Admin

I haven't seen PIWIS used on that control box - but it is the controller network. But I do not know what faults it stores.

The front controller problems have been sporadic and intermittent but changing the front control box has solved the problem on several cars that I know of.