Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

H&R Spring Install/New Wheels and Tires

I installed my H&R Springs Friday night. It took me about 3 hours total by myself (2 hours front, 1 hour back). My car had the standard suspension and was the one thing I disliked about the car. For $300, the H&R springs made a world of difference. The car sits about an inch lower and the ride is less harsh, yet more firm. Understeer is also a bit less noticeable. I'm sure many of you will ask why I didn't change out the struts/shocks also. I am planning to make this my next club racer and I'm not going to spend the money on coilovers for the street. I'll wait until I'm not using the car as a daily driver and go with a track coilover setup with much heavier springs. However, I'll change out the sway bars soon since I will be doing DE's in this car. That should make the car even more neutral by eliminating the remaining understeer.

Does anyone know the stock spring rate on the 2000 996 C2? Typically, H&R Sport Springs are 30% heavier than stock and I was trying to get a ballpark idea on the new spring rate. H&R won't release that info.

I'm picking up my wheels and tires at my local Porsche Dealer today. I bought a set of 19" Porsche OE 997 Carrera S wheels on eBay and had them finished entirely in black. I went to Bridgestone RE050A Pole Positions for rubber on the new wheels - Tire Rack had them in 19s for $249 and $259 compared to ~$350 each for the Michelins. I'll be using the Bridgestones for the street only and using Pilot Sport Cups on a set of 18s for the track.

Geoff, any pics? Last Friday at a track day I met someone with a 2003 Turbo that had just installed H&R. The car not only looked good, it drove very good too. He was impressed with just the spring setup. So was I, compared to my stock 996, it was flat on all corners. Let me know how it behaves on DE, I have been debating the spring or no spring question.

That's funny, I installed H&Rs Friday also!.. but with Bilstein Sports and H&R sways. I have only had time to drive it a couple times, but wow, it is very precise... all the factory slop is gone. For street and some track weekends, I think it is going to be good stuff.

• 1 month later...

After doing my install, I took the car to the dealer and got an alignment done and they set me up with about 1 1/2 degree of negative camber at all four corners. The car was fantastic on the track. Much better than I expected it to be. I guess I was expecting the infamous 911 heavy *** end to bite me but the car was pretty neutral. It still seems a bit on the understeer side. I think I can eliminate this and get it even more neutral with a nice fat adjustable sway bar in the rear from H&R. Here are some pics of the car. I didn't have my center caps on yet but you can see the car with the 19" 997 wheels.

I did go with Continental Sport Contact 2's in 235/35 and 295/30 instead of the Bridgestones. The Bridgestones are not recommended on 11" wheels. The Continentals are Porsche OE N0 or ribbed. After looking back at the tire and wheel setup. I would go with a 315/25 in the rear to keep the overall diameter closer to stock with 18" wheels and 285/30's.

post-12517-1157942924_thumb.jpg

post-12517-1157942983_thumb.jpg

post-12517-1157943113_thumb.jpg

post-12517-1157943222_thumb.jpg

****, that looks smooth...

*What? I can't say "dam n" ???

Thanks. How do you like the Bilsteins? I'm thinking of getting rid of the stock shocks. I think they make the ride a bit bouncy since they aren't valved right for the H&Rs. It's not too bad, just not perfect.

Night and day difference, honestly. And I am still on my stock 17"s. Certainly this is not the hot race setup, but it does feel that Bilstein Sport and H&R work together very nicely for street and some DE. If you are looking to tighten it down without going too wild, this is a real good option.