Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

High-Mileage 2.5s...

Wondering how many of you have/have heard of high-mileage 986 2.5s.

What's the highest mileage on members' cars with original engines?

What seems to be the consensus on percentage of cars/engines that will last to 100,000, 150,000, and 200,000 miles? Is anyone here even near the upper numbers? How does the car hold up, esp. compared to older 1970s and 1980s Porsches?

For those who HAVE lost engines, were there any tip-offs to impending doom besides excessive smoking? Vibrations?

I know it's all crystal-ball stuff here to some extent, but I'd love to get your opinions on this matter.

Thanks! :cheers:

pete

there are PLENTY of high-mileage boxsters out there. i think 150K is the most i've heard so far. i am coming up on 100K on my '97.

as far as how they hold up compared to older porsches, i don't know. but i do know that MY car has held up very well considering its age. people don't believe me when i tell them it's 10 years old! i haven't had any major issues with it, although the conv top cables did snap a few years back and i recently replaced the air/oil separator and a window regulator. plastic window just cracked too...

i would say treat it well, except for the fact that many owners have treated their cars/engines well, only to experience engine failure. i don't know if there's any rhyme or reason to it, or if it just comes down to 'luck'.

good 'luck'. :unsure:

I'm pretty much with Chris on this with the following comments....

I've heard of 180k plus Boxsters.

2.5 engines are fairly available with mid-level mileage. 2.5 Boxsters in a serious accident get totalled, not rebuilt. Thus used engines are available.

There are engine rebuilders.

So could a 97-99 Boxster be kept running to 300k .... sure. Assuming you want to forgo the latest from the P-car marketeers.

2.5 engines are fairly available with mid-level mileage. 2.5 Boxsters in a serious accident get totalled, not rebuilt. Thus used engines are available.

So could a 97-99 Boxster be kept running to 300k .... sure. Assuming you want to forgo the latest from the P-car marketeers.

I think it will be less than 50 percent. I knew guys who had to change their engines few times. if you want your enigne to last long you are gona have to drive ur porsche like any normal car. no high speed runs no over taking. most 2.5 engines start knocking after 80k-140k.

Edited by nightghost

I think it will be less than 50 percent. I knew guys who had to change their engines few times. if you want your enigne to last long you are gona have to drive ur porsche like any normal car. no high speed runs no over taking. most 2.5 engines start knocking after 80k-140k.

Wow...THAT'S a pretty grim prediction. Anyone else?

Thanks,

pete

I've heard of neither of the problems you cited as even uncommon occurrences. Once the original batch of bad 97-98 engines were replaced, the Boxster engines have been reliable with many people posting stories of their lasting well into the second hundred thousand miles so far. In fact one recent posting showed the odometer at 143k and the speedometer at 143 MPH. Hardly babied.

Can you damage many engine by hot rod'ing it before it is warmed up or over-reving it by blowing a shift? Sure. But driven reasonably and even aggressively, they last by all accounts I've read over the last 3 years of ownership and participation in multiple online Boxster forums.

My 2.5 went to 110 after it was warm. I change the oil, watch the temp and drive it as it was designed to be driven. I expect it to last.