Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

K&N Intake 63 Series

Well just installed the K&N intake and after 30 miles or so, I got a CEL. The CEL had two codes: P1128 & P1130. Has anyone else had these codes due to the K&N? I double checked to make sure the MAF is not backwards. Can the new K&N cause damage to MAF, O2 sensors? I am concerned!!!

• Admin

Chances are the filter is over oiled and that oil is now deposited on your MAF.

Try taking the filter and wrapping it in newspaper overnight - this will absorb excess oil. Clean your MAF with electrical contact cleaner. Make sure all vacuum hoses and lines are tight and not leaking. Reset your codes and try again.

BTW...

P1128 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation, Idle Range, Bank 1 – Above Limit

P1130 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation, Idle Range, Bank 2 – Above Limit

Potential causes:

– Incorrect signal from MAF sensor

– Intake air system leaking

– Fuel pressure too low

– Volume supply of fuel pump too low

– Fuel injectors fouled

– Exhaust system leaking

Loren thanks for the quick response. I only wrapped the filter with newspaper for about 2 hours. How fast can the oil damage the MAF? Is it permanent?

-Can the MAF get damaged that quickly?

-Is it something I need to take care of ASAP?

Thanks!

Edited by mdillian3690

• Admin

As long as the CEL is solid and not flashing then you should be okay to drive the car.

The MAF is likely just oil covered so it's readings are off. There should not be any permanent damage.

If that does not work clean the MAF again and put the stock setup back on. If you don't get a CEL you know where the problem is...

I spoke with one of the engineers of the 63 series at K&N yesterday and he offered to test/replace my MAF. Overnighted each way so only a two day process. He was very helpful and said K&N will not leave any customers hanging.

BTW - I found it interesting he said they read the K&N related threads on these forums.

Loren, I will attempt to clean it again. I am amazed that the MAF can be easily damaged. Will I do any harm to my car if I continue to drive with the CEL on or having a potential bad MAF? What could the dealer tell me? Thanks!

Dang! That is a load of oil on that canister filter then! Wondering if wrapping the filter on newspaper (Loren suggestion) to remove the oil would prevent the MAF failure. Or simply too much air the MAF can't read (design problem)?

I have the same K&N intake as well and it has cause huge problem. I was in Manhattan in the lower east side and as the lights turned green I accelerate in first gear and rev to about 4000 RPM, the car stalled while moving about 30 mph. Luckly I was able to pulled the car to the side and try to restart again. The car starts fine but each time the RPM needle went down under 1000 the car stall again. I was stuck for over 30 min. not knowing what to do. I finally drove to the nearest porsche dealer by consistantly reving the car above 1000 RPM in gear and using the hand break to slow down and stop (In New YOrk city!!!!)

finally got to The Manhattan motor sport on 27th and 11th ave, which they service and sales Porsche, Bently, Roys, Lamborginis and other exotic car was nice enough to take my right in. After the dianostic they told me that it was caused by the oil from the K&N filter got sucked into the intake and messed up the MAF sensor. Well, little that I know, the bill came out to be $434 for the MAF sensor, 2 Hour labor minimum at $160 an hour with 8.375% tax came to be $817.14

Now, there is a new MAF sensor and no CEL, but they did not clean or suck out the oil in the filter. I wonder when the car will act up again. It was a real nightmare!

As some of you may know, I started the same forum topic about the K&N aircharger. I have experienced continuous CELs due to MAF reading errors since install (never had any errors or CELs prior to install). Since installation of the K&N aircharger, my 996 also stalls frequently on the freeway or while in the upper gears when I suddenly back off the throttle and coast. Today, the car died with a strange clattering noise.

There has been much speculation about oil from the K&N contaminating the MAF and accumulating in the throttle body. I completely disassembled mine today and found NO EVIDENCE OF OIL ACCUMULATION. None in the throttle body (bone dry) and none in the air intake tube from the filter. Just to be sure, I used K&N filter cleaner to wash the majority of the oil out of the filter, let it dry and reinstalled it. After about 10 miles, I came up with the same CEL and stalling on coasting after deceleration.

I also very thoroughly checked all connections and seals, and cleaned my MAF with electrical cleaner (it already looked spotless) prior to reinstallation and testing. I'm quite confident that my installation is about as optimal as it can be as I am a professional auto restorer and have performed mechanical work for over 20 years. So any type of install error is highly unlikely.

I just thought that I would provide an update.

If anyone from K&N peruses these forums, it would be great to hear what type of fixes, if any, they have come up with. Or, conversely, if the problem has been isolated and is potentially a design flaw. It would be wonderful for K&N to get involved in these forums to support the many lifetime K&N users on this and other enthusiast sites (I have used K&N filters in my own cars for over 15 years and install from 20-30 in customer's cars annually). I, like any thinking individual, realize that design errors happen and that, sometimes, unforseen problems can surface once a component is released. I fully understand this and accept that it is a part of ongoing engineering and automotive development. I have had the same type of issues in my own restoration business. However, I do ask that the manufacturer accept responsibility and support the loyal customers that they have. So please K&N reps....provide a little help or insight....