Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Just wondering, i called my local dealera and got a quote for new brakes. Quoted over the phone at $1050? Pretty sure i just need new pads, which i would like to switch out to a street/track pad.

1st question: $1050? For just pads?

2nd question: Type of pad? Its about a 50/50 split for the car, street and track.

Shoudl i just pay to have them done? Is this something someone could do themselves? Ive never changed brakes on a P-Car, just my old dodge truck. Better left to the pros?

I responded to your question on 6speedonline.com as well but I'll leave it here to in case someone else has the same inquiry. I changed my own pads ( all the way around ) and the front rotors. Put Hawk HP+ on the front and factory pads on the rear. New backing platest (to prevent/limit squeal) all around as well. IIRC, total on parts was about 400 dollars, maybe slightly more with the backing plates and new bolts for the front calipers ( not sure that is totally necessary but did it anyway as Porsche recommends). Took about an hour and a half to do. Very easy DIY. A quick search should locate a good DIY here. Don't pay over a grand for pads. Just not remotely worth it considering how easy it is to do yourself.

I went with Mintex Red Box pads all around (not a track pad) and it was about $140 for pads. You can get a set of new factory rotors for about $600. 1 liter of ATE Super Blue is about $15. So as you can see, price is on the high side. Its a VERY easy DIY job. Messy, but easy. I would say its about a 2 hour job for the 4 corners.

Just wondering, i called my local dealera and got a quote for new brakes. Quoted over the phone at $1050? Pretty sure i just need new pads, which i would like to switch out to a street/track pad.

1st question: $1050? For just pads?

2nd question: Type of pad? Its about a 50/50 split for the car, street and track.

Shoudl i just pay to have them done? Is this something someone could do themselves? Ive never changed brakes on a P-Car, just my old dodge truck. Better left to the pros?

Just pads!? hmmmm

I've a MY99 996C2

Local Porsche dealership quoted me:

- Rear brake pads, rotors & sensors (parts $555.00 & labor $225.00) = $780.00

(original porsche parts, the front axis probably will be around the same price too)

Instead of letting them do it, I'll be doing all 4 corners myself. Part cost... about $700, 4 rotors and 4 set of pads, all porsche parts.... from Sunset.... MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper that $1560!!!!

Hey Viper....where did you get the rotors? If you say pads and rotors where 400, you must have gotten a smokin deal?! Are they factory style drilled, slotted, solid, or other? Could you give us the source? Thank you!

I used frozen rotors which cost around 190 a wheel, pads were 280 (HP+).

Used factory *front* rotors only. Didn't replace the rear rotors. HP+ on the front and factory on the rear. IIRC, it was about 100 for front pads, 100 for the rear, and about 100 for each of the two rotors. Factory parts came from Sunset(?) or the like while I can't recall where I got the HP+'s. I know I looked far and wide for the best deal I could find on the pads.

Used factory *front* rotors only. Didn't replace the rear rotors. HP+ on the front and factory on the rear. IIRC, it was about 100 for front pads, 100 for the rear, and about 100 for each of the two rotors. Factory parts came from Sunset(?) or the like while I can't recall where I got the HP+'s. I know I looked far and wide for the best deal I could find on the pads.

Those prices are good, 280 from tirerack for my pads and 160 a rotor from the dealer. The dealer is expensive for pad installation.