Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

air bag and engine hours

OK. So I went to the dealer today an had them read the air bag and engine hours.

Engine Hours: 1575

Air Bag Hours: 5473

P-car has 50,000 miles

Can someone tell me how this can be?

The dealer did not tell me about an engine change

Edited by evansaero

• Admin

My engine hours and airbag hours are about 100 hours different. Airbag is 100 hours more. But, I use my PST2 on the car a lot to answer questions here - so I have a lot of "key on" time.

Your airbag hours are 3.5 times engine hours. I wonder if the DME and/or engine was changed?

Or, I wonder if someone had a habit of leaving the key in the ignition (car off) - that still activates the airbag circuit.

My engine hours and airbag hours are about 100 hours different. Airbag is 100 hours more. But, I use my PST2 on the car a lot to answer questions here - so I have a lot of "key on" time.

Your airbag hours are 3.5 times engine hours. I wonder if the DME and/or engine was changed?

Or, I wonder if someone had a habit of leaving the key in the ignition (car off) - that still activates the airbag circuit.

Is there a way to find out if the DME or engine was replaced without taking it back to the dealer?

Edited by evansaero

• Admin

Your manual or original paperwork may have the original engine serial number on it - mine does. You can then check it against the serial number of the engine presently in the car. Most owners never remove the brown cosmoline on the bottom of the car and engine from the factory - but none of the replacement engines I've seen ever have cosmoline on them. They are clean and shiny.

The DME replacement records would (legally) have to be in the car's history. Any dealer should be able to pull up a full vehicle history from your VIN.

Your manual or original paperwork may have the original engine serial number on it - mine does. You can then check it against the serial number of the engine presently in the car. Most owners never remove the brown cosmoline on the bottom of the car and engine from the factory - but none of the replacement engines I've seen ever have cosmoline on them. They are clean and shiny.

The DME replacement records would (legally) have to be in the car's history. Any dealer should be able to pull up a full vehicle history from your VIN.

Well checked the manual and all the paperwork I have for it. For some reason I don't have that info or at the very least I don't know where to look for it.

Now for the brown cosmoline; where should I look for it?

I looked under the car and all I see is black road grime. On the top of the engine it is Black and shiny and I can see the word porsche on it

Edited by evansaero

My cosmoline covered engine pan (original engine).

Orient Express's second engine replacement (clean and shiny).

It is the original engine. I guess the only thing left is the DME

Thanks

I'll post pics later

Edited by evansaero

I always leave the key in the ignition while in the garage...Maybe i should stop

For real :eek:

I thought if you did that you still have power to the radio and gauges.

If I turn off the car and leave the keys in the ignition the radio and gauges stay on.

If I remove the key and don't lock it the gauges stay on

I did open and close the door

Edited by evansaero

I have to pull the key out and then i put it right back in...

For real eek.gif

I thought if you did that you still have power to the radio and gauges.

If I turn off the car and leave the keys in the ignition the radio and gauges stay on.

If I remove the key and don't lock it the gauges stay on

I did open and close the door

Edited by Gator911

• Moderators

Thought this subject was covered on rennlist over the past few days. So why again???

But, just for grins, and all you folks....

1997 Boxster with 61,041 miles on the original engine.

265 engine operating hours per the DME that was replaced last year.

2,109 air bag hours on the original control unit.

You should not mix operating hours with mileage or an engine replacement, or it will make you sick.

post-4-1155864609_thumb.jpg

post-4-1155864815_thumb.jpg

Thought this subject was covered on rennlist over the past few days. So why again???

But, just for grins, and all you folks....

1997 Boxster with 61,041 miles on the original engine.

265 engine operating hours per the DME that was replaced last year.

2,109 air bag hours on the original control unit.

It was covered, but questions kept coming up about the 5000+ hours on a 50000 miles 00' P-car.

It's all in my head I know :help:

With the car you give an example with the the air bag miles per hour are almost dead on with my cars engine miles per hour, but the air bag is way off and I mean way off.

61041/2109=28.9 (Your car example) air bag *Close match

50025/5473=9.14 (My car) air bag Does not make since (It's all in my head) Dam't I can't get it out of there :wacko:

50025/1575=31.7 (My car) engine *Close match

So yes the engine and DME do not look like they have been changed, and yes you had the answers right on rennlist. Thank you :cheers:

It's not that I did not trust what you were saying it's that I didn't have enough info for myself and I want to learn more about how these cars work. So that I can some day give an answer thats not BS...

You giving me the example of the boxster on renntech helped me a lot to understand what was replaced and what was not. On Rennlist you did not have the boxster example.

So again thank you :renntech:

Edited by evansaero