Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Car won't start... battery is fine, creaking sound heard but engin

I've had my 996 turbo for less than a month, and it seems like I have issues with it every week. Is this normal?

This morning, I went out to crank it up. It didn't start. I heard a "creaking" sound when I turn the key, but the engine doesn't turn over at all. I know it's not the battery, since I just changed it (to be sure, I tried to jumpstart the car with no luck). Is there a starter relay or fuse somewhere? Power relay? Thanks!

I've had my 996 turbo for less than a month, and it seems like I have issues with it every week. Is this normal?

This morning, I went out to crank it up. It didn't start. I heard a "creaking" sound when I turn the key, but the engine doesn't turn over at all. I know it's not the battery, since I just changed it (to be sure, I tried to jumpstart the car with no luck). Is there a starter relay or fuse somewhere? Power relay? Thanks!

Does anyone know where the starter relay or fuse is, or if it even exists? The clutch micro switch is being depressed, but for some reason the starter won't kick in. Battery is new, I even tried to jumpstart the car. Nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Does anyone know where the starter relay or fuse is, or if it even exists? The clutch micro switch is being depressed, but for some reason the starter won't kick in. Battery is new, I even tried to jumpstart the car. Nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Just went back out to try to start the car again. The pedal is super hard to press, and the reservoir marked Pentosin (I'm guessing clutch fluid) is showing really high levels of fluid. Could this be part of the problem? Or is this because I've pressed the pedal too many times? SOMEONE please help! I have a bad feeling about this...

Edited by achilles99

Try bypassing the clutch switch if it is not that then you may have a bad ignition switch.

How would I bypass the clutch switch? I pressed it manually, and it goes to 0v (12v when released), so it appears to be working. Is there an easy test for the ignition switch? Thanks Loren!

• Admin

If you are sure the clutch switch is working then you either have a bad ignition switch or the starter is bad. Usually starter don't just "not work" they sputter or are intermittent.

Any other weird electrical problems lately? Bad ignition switches sometimes cause other weird electrical problem.

If you are sure the clutch switch is working then you either have a bad ignition switch or the starter is bad. Usually starter don't just "not work" they sputter or are intermittent.

Any other weird electrical problems lately? Bad ignition switches sometimes cause other weird electrical problem.

I had a blown fuse in the radio and speakers that you helped me with, but I think that may have been becaues of the numerous jumpstarts I had (finally replaced battery, that did the trick... old battery didn't hold charge).

Other than that, everything has been normal.

Starter definitely isn't sputtering. It isn't doing anything at all, which sounds like it points to a bad switch. I read the articles from the 996 re: bad switches, but it looks like the 996 turbo uses a different switch. Is this an inexpensive part like it is on the 996? Thanks!

TT, Carrera, and Boxster all use the same switch.

The switch itself is cheap - some folks choose to spend $200 and upgrade the switch and lock to the newer version (there is a TSB on this for all three models).

OK, great. I'll just pick up a switch on Ebay and see if that fixes the problem. I'll try and test it before then to see if the signal is getting through.

Thanks Loren!

Edited by achilles99

The switch itself is cheap - some folks choose to spend $200 and upgrade the switch and lock to the newer version (there is a TSB on this for all three models).

Loren,

Car still wouldn't start today... I did notice that when I turn the key to the start position, I do hear one "click", as if the ignition switch is trying to do something. The lights also go out on the dash when I hold it in the start position. Is it still possible to have something wrong with the ignition switch? The click is coming from near the key, which I assume means it isn't coming from the starter. Could this be an immobilizer issue, and if so, is there an easy way to check/reset it? My car remote unlocks and locks the car fine, does that mean the immobilizer is fine? Thanks!

Hello!

I had a car that was totaly dead when I tried to start it sometimes but if I moved the car a few inches and had gear in so it moved the engine a little the car started, Im not sure why it was like this but after I changed start engine the problem dissapeared.

Its an easy test, just push the car a little forward and change to 1st gear and after that try to start it.

Edited by JonasGranlund

My post from another board, based upon a member suggestion to test the sensor:

Well, 99firehawk... you may have indirectly helped the cause! I unplugged the two wires, and connected them. Nothing happened. I then connected the two male spade ends that are attached to the sensor. Nothing happened.

So, I plugged the wires back in. I turned the key. The car started right up. I have NO idea why. I didn't change anything at all.

What do you guys think happened? I'm happy the car appears to start right up, but I'd like to know why in case it happens again. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions!

• 3 months later...

Can you give me the TSB number? I looked in the 996TT list and must have missed it. I'm having the same problem in my '02 996TT. Dealer says I have a leak in the clutch master cylinder that is causing the problem. Is that reasonable? Thanks.

Just a thought.... When you turn the ignition switch does a battery volts go right down, and also do you hear a clicking or slight groaning noise from the engine bay. If you do chances are the starter motor brushes and either worn out or are stuck to the commutator. If it is the later you maybe able to give the starter a thump and they will free up. Either way the brushes will need replacing. Not sure to the make up of the Porsche starter motor. But I am sure someone else may chip in.