Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

3.4 conversion questions!

my car just went in for the conversion...questions

did you guys add the front radiator or can you get by with the 2 boxster radiators.....I have been told the 996's with the tiptronic didn't have the center radiator anyway

did you upgrade your clutch.....my clutch is near its end and it was suggested going to a lt wt fly and new clutch stuff, pressure plate, throw out bearing, etc. It appears the boxster and 3.4 996 have the same exact clutch, but the 996 has a different (stronger?) pressure plate for the increased torque.....getting the lt wt fly is an added expense, but since the tranny is already off it changing it out does not add any labor. I also could go with a very slightly used 996 clutch & pressure plate that the mech needs to get off his shelf for a good price....

and finally what did you guys get for your old engine? I have an offer already but it seems a bit low.....but then again I have no idea what a 54k 2.7 would be worth...

TIA

:clapping: :thumbup: :unsure:

When mine was first done, I did not have the center radiator. I only had a problem with it getting too hot on a track day at NHIS on a day with the temps in the 90s. On other faster tracks, it was not a problem. If you don't track in hot weather you should have no problem.

I am using the stock dual mass flywheel with a Sachs sport clutch. At the time we did this, it was one of the only solutions available. I was told that the clutch arrangement for the 6 speed (996 or 'S') is different and won't mate up directly.

I wouldn't recommend doing the swap without the center rad. The factory deemed it necessary with the 3.2, you are putting in the 3.4. I ran my car for a bit without the rad and it ran a bit warm in my climate during the summer (summer temps around 90+ average). In california I would be even more concerned. You won't necessarily see the coolant temp climb but the oil temps will be hotter than you want. The complete rad kit can be had from Porsche for under $400.

The sachs sport clutch will hold up just fine, the 996 clutch/flywheel won't work as I believe the bellhousing on the 5 speed is too small. A lightweight flywheel is really up to you, it is noisier than the dual mass unit at idle and you will have to decide if the noise is worth the performance increase to you.

Sorry to say but your used motor is not worth too much unless you find the right buyer at the right time. I would say somewhere areound $2k.

Todd

Edited by tholyoak

I´ve run my 5 speed Boxster for 40.000Km with a Turbo system made by TTP, and when the engine blew, i dropped a 3.4L engine which made 22.000Km till I sold the car. When the 3.4L was installed, tuner told me the clucth was in good condition, and when I told them the clucth had 40.000Km with the Turbo system they almost didn´t believed me. When I sold the car the clucth still felt strong, but i had a remanufacter gearbox put it in. Don´t know if gearbox failure was caused by all power mods I´ve done, but there was two more Boxsters at the club, needing a new gearbox at same time and they were both stock. So I believe Boxster can handle the 3.4L power, but you got to know how to proper use it. My 3.4L system was 100% problem free during the time I use it, no eletronic or any other bugs what so ever.

J.Seven

thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate your experience on the swap. I think the center radiator sounds like cheap insurance......I think I will do it. But then I need a boxster S or 996 front fascia for the opening.

Anybody got a Boxster S front fascia for sale cheap??