Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tapping into cig lighter for power.

I did a search and found pictures of the phone connector. Is it always found in the same location?

I am assuming the cell phone connector is behind the radio? What color are the wires that carry the power. As you can see, I am new at this so please bear with me.

However, I am enjoying the heck out of this.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by rhregis

• Admin
Is it always found in the same location?
Yes, pretty much.

I am assuming the cell phone connector is behind the radio?
No, it is down below the radio. If you look at the other posts you will see you just remove the trim panel on the passenger side and it is usually right there.

What color are the wires that carry the power
Covered many, many, many times in previous posts. There is switched and un-switched power and ground. Ignore the telephone mute wire.

Look a little harder at the earlier posts please... :)

I tapped into the cigarette lighter for a switched supply for my speed camera detector - before I knew about the phone prep connector. The nice thing about connecting to the lighter is that the supply is held on when you switch off the ignition, and switched off when you remove the key. Is this the same with the phone prep connector?

• Moderators

Richard is in the UK. UK cars are a bit different than US.

All US cars have the phone connector. Guys on the UK message boards say they do not have it. Or, maybe they do not on unless they have a phone prep option.

On US cars the lighter is live all the time. This is apparently not so on UK cars and it may depend on the year. Some UK people have purchased a battery maintainer that you plug into the lighter, but it does not work unless the key is turned on, which defeats the purpose of a maintainer. Other UK people say their lighter is live all the time.

Confusing.

Putting that aside, on a US car you can use the cell phone connector for switched or constant power, depending on which wire you hook your device to.

Found the phone connector and I am now using it to power the Sat. radio. Pretty simple actually. Thanks!!

I have another question however, when I popped open the carpet to get to the phone connector, there is some kind of electronic box for the air bags. I placed all the excess wire, etc. in the area where this small box is, would that affect its function in anyway? I am assuming probably not, but just wanted to ask to be safe. Thanks again.