Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Factory HiFi Speakers Upgrade

I have a 99 C4 with the factory HiFi option. I am looking at upgrading all 6 speakers but I really don't want to change and/or rewire anything else. I have read a few post that recommend the Focals 5ws for the doors, but all the suggestions for front and back speakers that I can find are with a crossover which involves rewiring (Focal 100kp etc.) Can anyone tell me if the 5ws is a good choice for the doors, and what are my other options with a coaxial Focals or other top brand for the front and back. I would also appreciate suggestions on where to get them. Thank you in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a 99 C4 with the factory HiFi option. I am looking at upgrading all 6 speakers but I really don't want to change and/or rewire anything else. I have read a few post that recommend the Focals 5ws for the doors, but all the suggestions for front and back speakers that I can find are with a crossover which involves rewiring (Focal 100kp etc.) Can anyone tell me if the 5ws is a good choice for the doors, and what are my other options with a coaxial Focals or other top brand for the front and back. I would also appreciate suggestions on where to get them. Thank you in advance.

I have decided to go with the Focal 5ws or Focal 13ks for the doors, and 2 sets of Focal 100CV1's for the front and back. Keeping the rest as is. What do you guys think? What would be a better choice the 5ws or the 13ks? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Be aware that the upgrade sound great but you will have to turn your stereo volume up higher to achieve the same level as before. What this means is that the factory amp is working harder thus sending more distortion to your speakers which will destroy them over time. Eventually you will need to add an aftermarket amplifier; especially since you will be putting in higher watt subs which draw an enormous amount of power.

Be aware that the upgrade sound great but you will have to turn your stereo volume up higher to achieve the same level as before. What this means is that the factory amp is working harder thus sending more distortion to your speakers which will destroy them over time. Eventually you will need to add an aftermarket amplifier; especially since you will be putting in higher watt subs which draw an enormous amount of power.

Thank you, I will consider that.

Get an upgraded amp. It will make a huge difference, probably more so than the speakers. The head unit isn't that bad, other than the limited amount of inputs, e.g. no XM control built in, but the amp is pathetic (even in the hi fi cars). With what you are looking to spend on speakers, I'd strongly suggest getting a decent amp (JL 300/4 or Audison are both great options). The rear speakers are more for fill so I'd save a couple dollars on them. Also, there is a guy on here who is selling adapters for the rather oddly shaped factory dash and rear housings. A little pricey but if you want something plug and play they look pretty nice ( I used a sheet of ABS plastic to cobble together something similar prior to seeing his stuff). Oh, and I think you'll enjoy the Focals.

If you get the front's right you may not need to change the rears, they are really just for fill. I've got Focal 165 V2S in the doors with the tweeters where the dash speakers were. I didn't have the upgrade so had custom door builds done. Not sure how big the openings are in the doors with the upgrade???

They sound great but I've got Focal amp and some Genesis subs 6x9"" behind the rear seats too to make the sound meatier. Altogether 1000 times better than the utter crap that was in there originally.

A good installer will give advice rather than just sell you stuff - might be worth checking some out, demo'ing the speakers and getting some advice.

Mike