Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

opinions on 99 cab

I presently have a 97 boxster and am thinking of getting a 99 cab with hardtop and tiptronic. I was wondering if anyone has opinions about this model. I've had just about every problem imaginable with the boxster; blown engine, softtop mechanical, water leaks. I'm wondering what kinds of problems to expect with the 911. I noticed the thread on rms...

Also, although I enjoy the boxster handling, it is a bit noisy; road/wind noise especially. I think that the 911 should be more civilized in that regard. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Thanks for your input,

Rich

I find there is very little wind noise in my '99 cab. As to the quality of the interior, that depends on the options originally ordered. The plain Boxster sound system is rudimentry, so I would look for a better one on the 996. You will miss the rear trunk, I wish I had it. You will love the power exiting corners w/the 996. the boxster is a better inherent design (mid- vs. rear-engine), but the 911 is the signature Porsche and benefits from decades of engineering work and refinement.

I have had my 2000 cab since new. Luv it. Had its share of RMS problems and it still has a gearbox issue. I think I was just unlucky.

All in all it's a great car. Top gets a bit squeaky here and there but

who cares.

Carlos 'karlooz' from Campbell switched from a 1998 Boxster to a 1999 C2 coupe.  Maybe he will chime in.

I still think a 996 cab looks like a fat Boxster. <_<

man, i do miss the convertible top sometimes. especially today when it was clear and the air was crisp. i will have to agree with jeff, i really don't care for the look of the 996 cab (heavy looking back end when the top down, it looks alright witht the top up).

if you absolutely have to have the drop top then get the 996. coming from a 2.5 boxster, you will be blown away by power of the 996. and hey, the '99 - '00 models have the same from end as the boxster.

my coupe feels so much more solid than the '98 boxster. the boxster felt like it was less rigid, causing all sort of squeaks and rattles. it may not be a fair comparison since a coupe is inherently more rigid than a cab.

my boxster, like yours had problem including a leaky RMS, clogged drain holes leading to flooding and a fried computer, a bad intermediate shaft bearing leading to a new engine and a split rear window in 60degree weather! whew. and it all was NOT covered under warranty though the engine was "good willed" the labour was not.

the boxster has excellent handling. the S has the fastest slalom of all time (R&T i think). you can whip it around yet i find it easier to get the tail to come around when pushed beyond its limits. the 996 feels heavier and does not feel as tossable but i can feel when i'm gonna lose it.

unless you get the coupe, i would imagine the cab has the same amount of wind and road noise as the boxster.

for a while i thought that between the two drop tops i would go for a boxster S but now after owning a C2i definitely would get the cab. you won't regret it. :drive:

hi Rich,

got mine MY00 C2 Cabrio last August, also switched from a MY98 Boxster 2.5L, and I had the choice of MY99 and MY00 and I picked the -00 because there were a lots of improvement on the electronic and engine on the MY00 from the MY99, ex. MY99 had only TC (TractionControl) and MY00 had PSM installed. Also some engine improvement too, but can't say anything about that really.

but hey, that's all depends on the "ching-ching" you have to pay in between a MY99 and MY00, and of course all the extras in the car makes also a great deal when choosing .

handling, of course the power makes a lots of different between the Boxster and 996, now I mean the Boxster 2.5L & 2.7L, like karlooz said the S propably can beat 996 (3.4L) in all field but a 911 is always a 911.

of course the Cabrio version of 996 is not as rigid as Coupé and not even comparable with the Boxster but you will still see 996 Cabrio on the racetrack though. so I would also go for the Cabrio version otherwise you will miss it stepping from the Boxster.

cheers,

Tony

Rich, a Tip isn't that bad, really. Too bad you wouldn't consider an 02 w/the glass RW. Didn't have a Boxster w the plastic window, but did have a 2 on earlier models and hated it.