Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

whining on deceleration

Car: 2000, 2.7, Manual, USA

This just started yesterday after a 40 minute freeway drive. I decelerated in 4th from around 70 to 50 with foot off the gas and a medium pitch whine / whistle started emanating from the rear somewhere. I pumped the gas briefly and it went away. A few minutes later, same conditions, same noise and I pushed the clutch in this time and the noise went away.

It is definitely a whistle rather than a screeching sound. Clearly audible above the engine noise. Starts after a long deceleration (>10 seconds) from high speed - tried this again this morning at lower speeds and no problems.

At one point I thought I saw my oil light flicker on but this could have been an illusion. Does it sound like an oil pump issue? Oil is up to mark and recently changed (<1000 miles ago).

I know this is thin information but it is hard to reproduce the conditions in my garage so hard to localise. Everything sounds fine when idle. Any pointers in terms of what to look for first, next would be great.

Thanks, Mark.

Further info.

* Definitely related to engine revs. Clutch in/out does not make a difference.

* Only get noises when the engine is up to temperature

* I can hear a very faint screeching sound at around 3K revs

* The louder whistle sound appears around 3K revs but only on deceleration from 65-70mph.

* no warning lights on at this stage (will check my obd tonight to see if there are any temp codes)

From other posts thinking could this be oil separator? How do I test the separator? Is 47K a reasonable MTBF (or MMBF :) ) for a separator?

• 3 weeks later...

Resolution:

I changed the Oil Separator over the weekend (mine is the vertical lollipop type). Followed the procedure in this post be NotMyCar :http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4794 . Great advice about the hose clamps.

Additional advice

- the 2nd tube down (passenger side, half way down) is also awkward to get off. I found that removing the electrical connector next to it helped though this is a bit tricky to get back on without long nose pliers.

- When you separate the filler tube, it is a real bugger to get the top part off - even with hose clamp pliers. Alternative - if you top tube has a flexible joint and you can squeeze it over to the right (looking from the back forwards) past the engine cover mounting socket. Once it is over there - much easier to access the separator bolts and hose clamps. Get teh 2nd tube free before you do this though (see above).

- you need a small wrench/socket set to get the top bolt out. The "normal" sized wrenches hit the oil separator body and you can't quite get on the bolt. Once you have gone past 1/4 turn, you can do the rest with your fingers.

After the repair, the engine idled poorly - almost stalled but I remember from other posts that the engine management system needs a few runs to re-calibrate. Within 3 drives, the car is running well and idling properly. I think you can reset this quicker by taking the battery off for a couple of minutes.

As far as the old unit goes, it did not appear to have a tear in the bottom tube but it was deformed quite badly (almost like there was too much vacuum and had collapsed inwards). Not sure why I got the whine on decelleration but it has gone away and so has the P1128/1130.

Hope this helps.