Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I was wondering if anyone had instructions of how to install the GT3 side skirts?

I received mine last Monday and getting them painted this week. I was going to get the panel shop to do them with me but I have no idea (nor do they) where to start with there.

I did a quick look through the DIY/How to section for instructions but was unsuccessful, so I apologise if they are already posted somewhere on here.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

TIA

Arthur

• Admin
Loren, do you know if the type II side skirts fit on a 1999 996 Cab? - If they do, can you send me instructions on how to install as well.

Also where would you suggest buying them?

Thanks

Well, they may fit but they were made for the MY02 and newer cars. I don't really care for how the new ones attach though. The older Aerokit Cup sideskirts attach using epoxy and screws where the new ones use a few screws and double stick tape. Either way find a quality installer. When they are painted and attached you should not see any gap where they meet the body (i.e. less than 1/16 inch).

You can get either from Carnewal.com or Sunset Porsche.

.......thx to DIY guide from Loren!

Is the "DIY guide" from Loren the same as the Aerokit TSB? Or is it something different? If it's something other than the TSB text, I'd sure appreciate a copy as I'm about to undertake this procedure with the newer skirts (double-stick tape) on my Boxster.

--- Tom

hi my996,

they fit like a glove, got them on my MY00 Cabrio, took around an hour for the installation.

thx to DIY guide from Loren!

cheers,

Tony

Hey Tony or Loren, Could either of you send me a copy of the instructions?

thanks

Tony,

Post some pictures of your car. I have mine in the paint shop as we speak but would love to visualise the final result :D

Regards

Arthur

ps Loren, you talk about the gap between body and side skirt being 1/16". Even at that gap you can get water or dirty water down there. This is probably not too good for the double sided tape I'd assume. Is it ok to put silastic (spelling - In Oz silastic is a black sticky compound used to put in windscreens.) along the top to seal it? I have a basalt black black and dont believe you would notice its presence.

hey Arthur,

with the skirts from the Aerokit II, the doublesidescotch fits so good to the body that you can't put anything in between, it's great!

and of course these are the 2nd generation equipment so the y have to better than the 1st ones.

the pic:s can be seen here: Garage

cheers,

Tony

Edited by alter_schwede

thx Arthur,

the only thing is, you have really mark out where all the clips to be mounted under the car (should be place where all the holes on the skirts), while once the clips mounted they are really hard to pull it back out!

btw. must give it to Porsche, very clever, to mount the skirts in that way, w/o drilling holes, that means also no rost possible.

another thing maybe, should be aware of the temprature so the doublesided adhesive foil really stick to carbody!

a good tip: you could take help with a hairdryer to heat up the body

cheers,

Tony

Tony,

thanks for the tips!

I have not checked the mounting gear out so I will do that sooner rather than later.

Luckily its summer here at the moment and with the hot weather black is great for warming up pretty quickly so I doubt I will need the hair dryer but a great idea though :)

Regards

Arthur

with the skirts from the Aerokit II, the doublesidescotch fits so good to the body that you can't put anything in between, it's great!

and of course these are the 2nd generation equipment so the y have to better than the 1st ones.Garage

Hey Tony, (alter), did you install the side skirts yourself or did you have someone install it for you? Reason why I ask is I want to get the skirts too and would like to save a few bucks if I can install it myself. (BTW thanks for sending me the instructions). Also - where did you buy the skirts for 650 euros? Lastly, I have a 99 996 cab, you have a 2000 996 cab, do you know if the skirts will still fit on my car? BTW - great looking car! :clapping:

hey (my996),

I installed them with a couple of friends, got to loan a full raised car jack, much easier to fix the Clips under the car.

One thing though, take care where to place the jack at the rear wheel, because of the mounting of the back skirt.

for 650,- euro was also painting included :thumbup:

had to recall a favour at the paintshop!

but the price is correct, see the official Tequipment Germany

thx for the nice words of my car :clapping: , the side skirts makes a lot I would say my self.

cheers,

Tony

my996,

I paid USD$575.00 for the GT3 side skirts fron Brandywine Porsche. They even shipped them to me in Australia - the shipping did kill me a bit but I had a bunch of other stuff with it too.

Give Justin a call he is quite good. What I normally do is send him an email detailing what I want with prices of the goods I am willing to pay/received quotes on and he has so far managed to meet all my prices.

His details are: jlane@brandywineporsche.com and telephone is 610-886-1000

I do not benefit in anyway with you dealing with him, I have just found him to be great. He was recommended to me by someone on rennlist and have stuck with him since.

Regards

Arthur

hi keoni,

U don't need to drill any holes on the car, that's why U got the clips with hole on them!

so from the stoneguard and about 10cm inwards center of the car you will find a rail, on that rail you will be able to mount the clips, and what I remember, the hole should face towards center of the car.

hint: before mounting the clips on the rail, measure out all the holes according to the skirts, because once the clip is mounted there is some slightly difficult to remove it.

have fun!

cheers,

Tony