Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Home-made one-touch top

Hi Guys,

hope you dont mind me adding to this.

this is actually a very simple circuit to make. You can do it using a 555 timer circuit on both the open and close lines on the switch. This simple keeps the switch on for around 13 - 15 seconds after touching the switch once, very very simple. Also, if you need to service the engine, you simple press the button once, and turn off the ignition ocne the top if at the service position which automatically stops power to the top.

I can send you the circuit if you need it.

They is a more clever device that I am currently writing code for using a pic, this will read the speed to prevent opening at over 40mph. But even more cool, I am tapping in to the remote windows, so when you press and hold the remote control (key fob) to close the windows, it also closes the roof remotely.

If you are interested in this let me know and I will post out either the pic alone or the circuit if you want it for the costs of just materials and postage. I have to finish it first though.

many thanks

Russ

Hi Guys,

. . . this is actually a very simple circuit to make. You can do it using a 555 timer circuit on both the open and close lines on the switch. This simple keeps the switch on for around 13 - 15 seconds after touching the switch once, very very simple. Also, if you need to service the engine, you simple press the button once, and turn off the ignition ocne the top if at the service position which automatically stops power to the top.

I just want to clarify a few things. First, it is a bit more complicated if you want to implement the ability to stop the top mid-stroke by pushing the button the opposite direction - negating the need to turn off the ignition. Second, when you consider the safety interlocks that you might want to include (you wouldn't want a situation in which the top is trying to go up and down simultaneously...) it gets more complicated again. We spent a lot of time designing something that would have the functionality we wanted plus have absolutely no risk of causing damage to the car. For someone experienced in building electronics it can be done. At the same time it's not so simple that I would trust a complete beginner to build it from scratch, especially if it's to be small enough to fit inside the dashboard. What we offer is a complete plug and play solution for a cost that is much less than the other packaged solutions out there.

We still have a few left from our initial build. If anybody is interested, please don't hesitate to contact us at onetouchtop (at) hotmail (dot) com

Edited by John V

Received my one-touch top device yesterday...thanks John! Unfortunately, the car won't see the mod until spring when the weather warms up. Other than a big snow storm in early December, northern Chicago suburbs have experienced a mild winter; still too much salt on the roads, though.

Received my one-touch top device yesterday...thanks John! Unfortunately, the car won't see the mod until spring when the weather warms up. Other than a big snow storm in early December, northern Chicago suburbs have experienced a mild winter; still too much salt on the roads, though.

No problem, and be sure to let me know what you think once it's installed!

Hi Johny,

Yup I completely agree, But you can create the 555 timer circuit to be completely flip flop so there is no way of getting up and down activation simultaniously. Also, you can IC filter it to prevent premature activation.

I would be interested in reviewing your design if you have any left?

Russ

Edited by RascalRuss

Hi Johny,

Yup I completely agree, But you can create the 555 timer circuit to be completely flip flop so there is no way of getting up and down activation simultaniously. Also, you can IC filter it to prevent premature activation.

I would be interested in reviewing your design if you have any left?

Russ

Russ,

It's John V, not Johny. ;) We do have a couple left. If you would like one, just PayPal $99.00 to "onetouchtop@hotmail.com" and we'll get one shipped right out to you.

Thanks,

John V

• 3 months later...

Hi John,

Just got around to installing my one-touch top opener...great device, easy to instal and so convenient! Thanks again for producing a terrific product at a very competitive price. When my friend sees mine he'll want to order one too; hopefully there are a few left. Anyone who is interested in this product, I give it my endorsement.

Thanks!

Jerry Matta

2002 Boxster S

post-10990-1178561506_thumb.jpg

Hi John,

Just got around to installing my one-touch top opener...great device, easy to instal and so convenient! Thanks again for producing a terrific product at a very competitive price. When my friend sees mine he'll want to order one too; hopefully there are a few left. Anyone who is interested in this product, I give it my endorsement.

Thanks!

Jerry Matta

2002 Boxster S

Thanks for the kind words, Jerry. Glad you're happy. If you have any problems in the future please don't hesitate to e-mail us!

John