Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Home-made one-touch top

Hey fellow 986 owners,

A friend and I came up with an easy-to-install device that allows one touch top operation. We made two of these for our own cars and we are considering making more of them if anyone is interested in buying one. The unit allows you to raise or lower the top by touching the button once. If you want to stop it, you touch the opposite button. You can then start it again in either direction by pressing the desired button.

It doesn't have speed sensing, so if you want to operate the top while moving, you can do the pin 18 hack on the top relay, which is what we did. This doesn't prevent you from trying to operate your top at high speed, but we don't think this is a big deal. It's pretty easy to know when you're above 25 MPH or so. Also you'll still need to pull your parking up a click in order to operate the top. This can be defeated as well, if you like, but again, you have to be smart about it.

The installation is easy; it goes right behind the switch. You unplug the switch and install this between the switch contacts and the connector. That's all there is to it- it takes maybe 15 minutes to install, if you take your time.

Based on what it cost us to build these, we'd be able to sell these at less than $100 each.

Anyone interested?

• Moderators

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/show...ad.php?t=313474

Many years ago, one of our local owners came up with a simple timer that replaced your finger holding the switch down. Ed Brakus, which became Sharkworks/Touch Top. The prototype timer was large and tested on my 1997, because Ed had a 2001. The final version of the timer was much smaller.

There were/are other products that do the same thing. SmartTop is just one, and relatively new in my 7 plus years of Boxstering.

Ed move out of the area long ago. If Sharkworks still exist it is only because Ed came up with another gizmo for another car.

If you can keep the price down I think you will find a market.

post-4-1164232876_thumb.jpg

100 bux is not that bad, but it really doesnt bother me whatsoever to hold the button, i think this is as useful as s2000 start button

It's really convenient for folks like me who have the plastic window and have to get out to chop the top. I can just hit the button, hop out, chop, and by the time I get back in the top has finished moving.

The simple 555 timer circuit can be made for less than $10 in parts from Radio Shack. The cancel operation can be made (basically) by attaching the output of the timer through both ends of the switch into the reset pin.

I think it would be in better spirit to charge a more realistic price for the units or post the schematic so that others can make them too.

The simple 555 timer circuit can be made for less than $10 in parts from Radio Shack. The cancel operation can be made (basically) by attaching the output of the timer through both ends of the switch into the reset pin.

I think it would be in better spirit to charge a more realistic price for the units or post the schematic so that others can make them too.

I think your right, If anything, This should be made into a DIY mod, not a closely held secret for something that would be equevalent to auto-up passenger window on a MY97 boxster, I would never pay $100 for that. I would rather find a DIY, If one exsists.

I think your right, If anything, This should be made into a DIY mod, not a closely held secret for something that would be equevalent to auto-up passenger window on a MY97 boxster, I would never pay $100 for that. I would rather find a DIY, If one exsists.

Thanks for your input. Implementing the basic functionality we wanted, to wit, a plug-and-play solution for one-touch operation coupled with the ability to cancel and restart, is actually a bit more complicated than one would think. Once you've factored in the cost of a small run of PCBs, components, assembly, packaging, shipping and the time involved with everything this is the price we felt comfortable charging.

Since there was enough e-mail interest to justify it we ordered the goods and will have something for sale shortly. Still, we encourage other enthusiasts who think they can do a better job on their own to go for it and post a DIY! :thumbup:

i thought i read on the last forum (can't name forum dam) that i came from that there was

a bit of soldering to be done. did you some how elminate this or

did i read wrong. that was the only reason that i stayed away from

commenting if i wanted one or not. i stayed away because i'd have

do more then just plug and play.

i thought i read on the last forum (can't name forum dam) that i came from that there was

a bit of soldering to be done. did you some how elminate this or

did i read wrong. that was the only reason that i stayed away from

commenting if i wanted one or not. i stayed away because i'd have

do more then just plug and play.

Surreal,

Nope, no soldering of any kind needs to be done to install our one-touch top. It is completely plug and play and always has been. It takes no time at all to install and no tools are needed.

Thanks,

John V

John,

I've watched your post with interest and now the video. I compliment your ability to devise such an item and would like to be placed on the list as a buyer. The functionality is great, however, I could not justify the "Smart Top" solution cost. Also, raising or lowering the top while moving is of no interest to me. Please let me know what I need to do to purchase your solution. I can be contacted at: jgmatta@msn.com PM sent, as well.

Edited by jmatta

So how can I order one?

RichS

Rich (and everyone):

We did an initial small run of boards because we weren't sure there was much interest. The circuit boards are supposed to arrive next week at which point we can start assembling. The goal is to have them completed so they can ship before the holidays.

We're not taking orders until we have them ready to ship out. We will post here (as well as e-mailing directly the people who have requested to be put on the list) when everything is good to ship out. If you would like, you can PM me your e-mail address so you don't have to check this thread.

Thanks for the interest,

John V

i have a plastic top too

Good morning. I am interested in the one touch top control, however at times the lip on the passenger side does not always catches the groove on the frame so it is inside the frame I have to guide it as I close the top. This always happens when I "karate chop" the plastic rear window so it lays down smoothly. Has anyone experience the same thing.

Ben

i have a plastic top too

Good morning. I am interested in the one touch top control, however at times the lip on the passenger side does not always catches the groove on the frame so it is inside the frame I have to guide it as I close the top. This always happens when I "karate chop" the plastic rear window so it lays down smoothly. Has anyone experience the same thing.

Ben

Ben,

There is a way to fix that and it was at Porsche TSB I believe. There is a tension spring (looks like a tiny leaf spring) that forces that lip inside the groove. If yours aren't following the groove, you need to remove and reverse the tension spring. It worked for me!

Do a search, it's been covered before. Good luck!

John

i have a plastic top too

Ben

Ben,

There is a way to fix that and it was at Porsche TSB I believe. There is a tension spring (looks like a tiny leaf spring) that forces that lip inside the groove. If yours aren't following the groove, you need to remove and reverse the tension spring. It worked for me!

John

Do you know if this is true for aftermarket tops? I had one replaced and i still have the same issue with the lip. It looks like we myu top has stretchy elastics.

Regards to all. Great forum here!

Thanks

i have a plastic top too

Ben

John,

thank you for the info. I will do a search for the fix since I feel like I am a true "ragtop" driver. As long it is not raining and sunny my top is down to enjoy the drive.

Ben

Ben,

John

i looked but i couldnt find it somehow, do u by any chance have a link to a tension spring fix?

Do you know if this is true for aftermarket tops? I had one replaced and i still have the same issue with the lip. It looks like we myu top has stretchy elastics.

Regards to all. Great forum here!

Thanks

It does, in fact I had this problem which only started with an aftermarket top, I am not sure if it is because during the top replacement hte upholsterer had to remove the spring and reinstalled it wrong or if the installation led to a weakening of the spring.

Anyway I want ot give a big warning when you are doing the procedure, it works very fine but you must be carefull when reinstalling the spring, when I did one of the screws fixing the passenger side hole partially stripped the hole. 2 weeks later when closing the top the screw came out taking the rest of the hole threads with it.

I had it repaired since then by a shop who rethreaded the hole in the B-pillar. I am still not sure if the stripping happened when I applied the fix (because I would have tightened the screw too much) or if someone else (the upholstering shop which installed the new top) broke it