Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I need to remove the passenger side seat from my vehicle. One of the bolt heads is stripped (I stripped the bolt trying to remove it). Because bolt head is stripped the socket just spins. Does anyone have any suggestions for removing a stripped bolt? There is not much room as the bolt sit down in the seat track.

:cursing:

I need to remove the passenger side seat from my vehicle. One of the bolt heads is stripped (I stripped the bolt trying to remove it). Because bolt head is stripped the socket just spins. Does anyone have any suggestions for removing a stripped bolt? There is not much room as the bolt sit down in the seat track.

:cursing:

Try a screw/bolt extractor. You and get one and the required drill bit at the local hardware store. Nest time make sure you use a torqX socket so you don't strip the head.

If the bolt head is not too buggered up get the correct E12 Torx and pound it on.

That's exactly what my indy mechanice did .... when I had rounded off the head of the Torx 12 bolt by attempting to use a metric socket.

He held a Torx 12 socket in place, hammered it onto the head with a large hammer, and then inserted his ratchet and backed it out. I offered to pay for the socket, but it did not appear to have harmed it. I now have a set of Torx sockets.

I use two metods for stripped bolts - I have found that either trick will work most every time:

1. Use a dremel tool & grind out a slot across the stripped bolt head. Put the largest screwdriver you have in the slot & crank it. If you need more force, there is a tool called a manual impact driver - it's basicly a screw driver that twists when you smack the handle with a hammer - they carry them at the local ACE Hardware store.

2. Get a grade 8 nut - one where the threaded hole inside the nut is just about the same size as the stripped bolt head. Set the nut over top of the stripped bolt & tack weld the inside of the nut to the head of the stripped bolt. Turn the grade 8 nut with a wrench. Use a cheater bar if you need to.

I also have a Craftsman "easy out" tool kit from SEARS that fails most every time I try to use it for the purpose it is made for.

• 4 months later...
I use two metods for stripped bolts - I have found that either trick will work most every time:

1. Use a dremel tool & grind out a slot across the stripped bolt head. Put the largest screwdriver you have in the slot & crank it. If you need more force, there is a tool called a manual impact driver - it's basicly a screw driver that twists when you smack the handle with a hammer - they carry them at the local ACE Hardware store.

2. Get a grade 8 nut - one where the threaded hole inside the nut is just about the same size as the stripped bolt head. Set the nut over top of the stripped bolt & tack weld the inside of the nut to the head of the stripped bolt. Turn the grade 8 nut with a wrench. Use a cheater bar if you need to.

I also have a Craftsman "easy out" tool kit from SEARS that fails most every time I try to use it for the purpose it is made for.

How about if the threads on the frame are stripped? My fronts both seem to be stripped. It's not the bolts, it's the threaded nut welded to the inside of the car frame. I think I'm dead meat - may have to re-tap it and use a larger bolt.

"...Set the nut over top of the stripped bolt & tack weld the inside of the nut..."

One caution, if TIG welding or any other high frequency, disconnect the battery, both terms. You don't want to scramble every computer on the car.

• 1 year later...

Whenever I strip a bolt I start with vice grips and if they don't work I try two different Craftsman extractors. If none of the works I usually weld a old socket, screwdriver or Allen wrench to the stripped bolt. If you don't have a welder J-B Weld should work just fine. Click on the link to my site if you want more detail on how to remove bolts with stripped heads.