Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Removing the Rear View Mirror Mount

Okay, say I want to remove the mount from the windshield, the mirror is easy enough to remove but once it's off I also want to remove the button. From searching I've come across two suggestions, either get the area warm then give it a twist with a wrench or try to dissolve the glue with acetone. If I try this I think I'll try the second one first as I am nervous about a loud cracking sound following the first siuggestion but thought I'd check in first to see if anyone has tried this and how it worked out.

Chris.

Okay, say I want to remove the mount from the windshield, the mirror is easy enough to remove but once it's off I also want to remove the button. From searching I've come across two suggestions, either get the area warm then give it a twist with a wrench or try to dissolve the glue with acetone. If I try this I think I'll try the second one first as I am nervous about a loud cracking sound following the first siuggestion but thought I'd check in first to see if anyone has tried this and how it worked out.

Chris.

Apply heat and you will crack the screen.

Take it to an autoglass agent, they can remove it by using a garot type wire in the same way they remove bonded windscreens

Glyn

Chris.

Apply heat and you will crack the screen.

Take it to an autoglass agent, they can remove it by using a garot type wire in the same way they remove bonded windscreens

Glyn

Thanks Glyn, I called one glass place and they wouldn't even try for fear of breaking the glass, I'll try some more. It was also suggested that the glue could be dissolved with a acetone solution maybe. When I mentioned heat I was thinking more a warm day rather than applying excessive heat :)

Cheers, Chris.

Curious to know why you are removing mirror?? I am attemption to move my mirror down 1 inch to accommodate a mirror with built in 4 inch tv, for rear vision and for looks. Can u tell me how to remove this. thanks mykelbutler@yahoo.com

• Moderators

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10360

My windshield was already cracked at the bottom before I hit the mirror and cracked the glass behind the mount.

I took the mirror off for the new glass that we were waiting to show up. When the glass did not show up I put the mirror back on so I could leave. I normally would never hit the mount area, but I did because the glass was already cracked at the bottom. Didn't think I would hit it hard enough to crack it again

• 1 year later...

Chris.

How did you remove the mirror from the mount?

Thanks