Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine Noise-Crank Pully-Screaching!

only when engine achieves operating temp. At first I thought it was a pulley, no such luck. I narrowed it to "behind the front crank belt drive pulley. It HOWLS when warm and low idle speeds. Obvious lack of lube or bearing failure, inside front section of block, possible intermediate bearing. ANYONE heard of this failure? thanks-Mark

Edited by FORMULA

Are you sure it is not the water pump?

Thanks for the reply Loren-Hmm, the first thing I did AFTER thinking it was a belt driven issue was simply to remove belt and run engine-Same LOUD screaching! from directly behind the main front engine pulley. Funny, but spraying "brake cleaner" behind pulley made sound disapate? a little anyway? Strange,, thinking of removal of pulley to make sure? Wish someone else had this loud noise issue:(

Only TSB for the belt side of the crank is for the oil seal (FMS).

well, I thought it would be a shot in the dark, but worth asking about anyway-what a noise too! Screeaaach!!!!! at dile and then the engine dies. Someone mentioned the oil separator? Don't think this noise is results from that, also check both blower motors on engine as a precaution to diagnosis. Happy Holidays!

I would bet good money that it is the oil seperator. Here is an easy fast test.... when it's making this noise, open the rear trunk and remove the oil dip-stick. If the noise goes away it's the oil seperator... the seperator and J-tube have been updated to a newer part that is supposed to have a longer service life. It's a straight forward,easy DIY project. Best of luck!

I would bet good money that it is the oil seperator. Here is an easy fast test.... when it's making this noise, open the rear trunk and remove the oil dip-stick. If the noise goes away it's the oil seperator... the seperator and J-tube have been updated to a newer part that is supposed to have a longer service life. It's a straight forward,easy DIY project. Best of luck!

Hi-thanks for the suggestion. I had the oil fill cap off when the screaching noise was occuring.-Keep up the ideas though

This is a long shot, I have one customer who drives on a gravel road to and from his house everyday- appox 20km/trip- his '99 boxster started making a squeal noise when hot which was coming for inside the bell housing. A very fine dust had collected and we just hosed it off, sparying water into the bell housing and the noise has not returned so far. I can't say for sure what was causing the noise... possibly the release brng. Best have a closer look at that water pump.

This is a long shot, I have one customer who drives on a gravel road to and from his house everyday- appox 20km/trip- his '99 boxster started making a squeal noise when hot which was coming for inside the bell housing. A very fine dust had collected and we just hosed it off, sparying water into the bell housing and the noise has not returned so far. I can't say for sure what was causing the noise... possibly the release brng. Best have a closer look at that water pump.

thanks guy, it really is nice when you guys are out there trying to help. after complete drive removal as well as pulley, we confident that the problem is the intermediate bearing INSIDE the $pit!.

I did try to investige R/R oil separator just for giggles however I cannot find any DIY on the procedure

Your help is VERY appreciated. I try to help also when I know what the problem is:-)-regards Mark