Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Need help quick

I'm so dumb. I'm taking my 99 Boxster into the shop Wed. at 7am to have them check it out because I just got it and at 60,000 miles I wanted them to look at it. They are going to change the oil and do a 60,000 mile maint. At $600 est. I just realized I should have been asking you guys what really needs to be checked. IS ANYBODY OUT THERE, OUT THERE.....out there ? Thanks a lot... Brad

600$ for the 60K maintenance sounds cheap if this is done by the dealer.

I called 3 of them (Claridge, Carlson and Steven's Creek) and they run between 1000 -1200$ ( depending if they replace the polyrib belt or not).

600$ might only be the "services" charge, oil, brake fluid, filters might be extra.

The more usual problem on Boxster are:

Rear Main Seal (aka RMS leak)

Valve cover leak

MAP sensor failure (it get dirty and the check engine come on)

wheels bearing failure

retractable top cable snap

Collant reservoir leak

Oil filler tube leak

Most of these problem can be observed by monitoring your garage floor.

Hopefully everything is going to be ok

Jean

OK... here's the breakdown..(No dealer here in Lexington)

Parts $640

Labor $458

oil

oil filter

brake disc 2

brake pad set

brake pad sensors (Should this be a separate thing from the pads ?)

fuel filter

spark plugs

air filter

acc cabin filter

poly rib belt

What do you think? Thanks Brad

• Moderators
OK... here's the breakdown..(No dealer here in Lexington)

Parts $640

Labor  $458

oil

oil filter

brake disc  2

brake pad set

brake pad sensors  (Should this be a separate thing from the pads ?)

fuel filter

spark plugs

air filter

acc cabin filter

poly rib belt 

What do you think? Thanks    Brad

I did the 60k service on a friend's 1998 for about $180 in parts, no brake pad change was needed.

The sensors are a separate item from the pads. There is no reason to replace the sensors unless your warning light is on. We replace pads all the time without replacing the sensors.

You might want to add a brake fluid/Clutch flush, if they are going to repalce the brake they will have access to the bleed nipples, and flushing the clutch is prety hard when the car is not on a lift (unless you work for Cirque du Soleil).

The bake job is kind of costly on the parts (~ 200$ each brake pad/rotor set) If you have time, you might ant to "shop" on the internet for a better deal.

http://www.sunsetimports.com/porscheatcost.htm

Is a place that we use down here. They are a Porsche dealer that is willing to sell for less when you are not in their market (i.e. Oregon). They carry everithing you will need, including the polyrib belt.

You could possibly save 70$ by not buying the "charcoal" polen filter (if you change it, go for the "cheap" paper one). I alway wonder why they would fit a polen filter in a convertible...? ( I assume that it is the same ventilation system that the one used on 996, so they did not bother creating a new "SKU" without polen filter for the Boxster).

Oil, sometime Kragen or Pepboys are running promotions. Go and buy your 12 quarts of oil in advance. Mobile 1 0W40 cost a lot, so stock it when it is cheaper.

Jean

Edited by frenchy