Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

OBC Cluster Swap

Having just completed the 4-Stalk hack for OBC and Cruise in my 2004 Boxster S I am wondering if it is possible to swap the complete instrument cluster for the LCD version.

If it is possible what additional work is required other than swaping the complete cluster?

Having swapped the cluster can the cluster be enabled by the use of just the PST or PIWIS or do you need access to the IPAS?

(I am assuming a new cluster rather than second hand)

It's a bit of a mystery why you only get the original type OBC display on later Boxsters. If you look through the parts list, there isn't a later cluster listed with the OBC option (basically, for each region [uSA/RoW/etc] there are only clusters for manual or tiptronic [in various colours]). Therefore you would assume that you would get the 'dot-matrix' display when doing a retrofit, but you don't. Changing the 'order code' has been tried, but that doesn't work. I don't know anyone who has tried a complete new cluster. Risky (expensive) if it doesn't work.

• Moderators

Starting for model year 2002 the 986 came out with a middle display that was dot matrix, but only if the car came with the OBC option. With this display you can have more lines of info. The other 2 displays on a dot matrix cluster are segmented.

First time I saw this type of display was on the 2001 turbo. Then the 996 and 986 got it in 2002 but only if the car came with the OBC option.

So, as of Boxster model year 2002 if you did not have the OBC option then the middle display was segmented, not dot matrix.

If you look at the 2002 up 986 parts list it will tell you if the middle display is segmented or dot matrix due to the OBC option code 659.

You cannot take a segmented display and turn it into a dot matrix display. You would need to replace the non-OBC cluster for a 2002-2004 OBC cluster, and that is expensive.

If you do the OBC retrofit on a 2002-2004 986 then the middle display looks like a 2001 986 with the OBC option, which has a segmented middle display.

I know this is confusing, and don't quote me as I am trying to remember the changes....

And the part number for the 2002-2004 OBC cluster is.... and I am sitting down for the price.

Assuming I am mad and fit one of these what is the enabling process for the new cluster?

(Forgot to add 3.2 S and not tiptronic)

Edited by Nick_USA

Sorry TP and Nick, I didn't word my reply correctly. If you look through the parts list, ALL the 02- Instrument Clusters for USA are shown with the 659 OBC option. In other words, there isn't a cluster listed without OBC. Unless Porsche put special clusters in at the factory, you would expect the cluster of an 02- car to read with the dot-matrix display when you do the retrofit, but clearly it doesn't.

Nick, if ever you take the cluster off again it would be worth making a note of the part number, to compare with the parts list. The part number of a USA spec cluster in black for a 02- 3.2S 6-speed manual is 986.641.982.23.A03, and the list price is.....................sitting down?.......................$1823.39.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12175

That guy bought a used one from a 2003 Boxster S on ebay for $127.50. Would have to look up the part number to see if it is dot matrix.

Make him an offer if he does not use it....

Thanks for that TP. Am I correct though, the mileage cannot be reset by the dealer to the true milage being transfered from the old used cluster, it can only be done with a new one?

Edited by Nick_USA

A new cluster can be set forward to the correct mileage with a PST2. It has to be done within a few miles of fitting. There are "mileage correction" people out there if you do get a used cluster. I'm sure that has been covered somewhere on here before.

There is a link to where you can download the parts lists in the "Links" box at the top of thhe page.

• Moderators

Once an instrument cluster has 62 or more miles on the odometer it is locked and a dealer cannot change it with the PST2/PIWIS. Why 62 miles, because it is about 100 of those funny German metric miles and 100 is a lucky number in Germany.

But, like Richard said, there are "mileage correction" people out there in the aftermarket who can do it.

As for that ebay cluster. The seller has a 2003 base, so I assume he paid for an S cluster because he wanted the silver gauges. Said it was done by a Porsche dealer. Said he drove 30 miles after the cluster replacement.

Drove 30 miles after what, is the question I would have asked the seller. Drove 30 miles on a new S cluster with 0 miles on the new cluster, put into a 2003 vehicle. That is called odometer fraud.

More likely, the dealer put in the correct mileage in the new cluster and the seller has XXX miles plus 30. But you never know with something on ebay....

• 12 years later...

Hello everyone

I'm activating this thread again because I got a good deal on a used face-lifted Boxster S, 6-speed manual OBC cluster (# 98664123502FHB) & I'd like to swab it to complement cruise control + OBC retrofit in my 03 Boxster S.

Any experience, thought or advice with such projects will be appreciated.. 

Thank you..

Edited by 99-911

• Admin
8 minutes ago, KevinH90 said:

This thread on Rennlist discusses transplanting a 996 cluster into a 986:  https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/1144355-cluster-upgrade.html#post15876755

It includes instructions for transferring mileage and VIN information between clusters.

It been covered here also - and there is a bit more. If you want the oil pressure gauge to work then you need to run a wire from the sensor to the cluster.

Not to mention the convertible top dash lights to work correctly.

4 hours ago, KevinH90 said:

This thread on Rennlist discusses transplanting a 996 cluster into a 986:  https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/1144355-cluster-upgrade.html#post15876755

It includes instructions for transferring mileage and VIN information between clusters.

4 hours ago, Loren said:

It been covered here also - and there is a bit more. If you want the oil pressure gauge to work then you need to run a wire from the sensor to the cluster.

Not to mention the convertible top dash lights to work correctly.

Thank you Kevin..

Thank you Loren..

I was talking about getting just a dot-matrix boxster cluster (3 dials) , now that you brought the idea, I'll consider the 5-dials cluster upgrade. 

I guess the install is almost the same for 3-dials & 5-dials, with addition to sorting out oil pressure sensor & convertible top issues.