Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Daytime Running Lights on U.S. Spec?

I recently bought a 1999 with non-litronic, and thought that daytime running lights were just a standard thing. By this I mean that the fog lights are on any time the car is running, and there is no apparent way to turn them off other than to shut the car down. But I have since seen a few oncoming Boxters with the same headlights, with their lights off, and that got me wondering.

I have read and re-read the owner's manual, and have tried all switch positions, including the whole range in the pulled-out position. And this is definitely a U.S. spec car (based on the VIN, and the fact that the speedo and odometer in miles not km). Have also searched here and on Rennlist, but to no avail.

I'm thinking more and more that either my headlight control switch is broken, a previous owner had a dealership "program" the lights for full time DRL, or that someone hacked the wiring to provide this. Car was originally sold in NY and registered in PA. Not sure if those states might have specific DRL laws.

Not a big deal, but I think I'd prefer them off unless needed.

Can anyone tell me whether the fogs as full-time DRLs are indeed standard on the 1999 996, or, if not, if it is something that a dealer may have set at the customer's request or by state law? Or should I suspect the light switch? Something else?

Thanks

Just the fog lights. All other light functions are fine.

I'm fairly certain it is a U.S. model due to the VIN and speedo/odo gauges being in miles rather than km.

Edited by RandalJ

Open the fuse box under the driver side on the footwell and see if there are any jumpers between fuses. That was how I got my US version to work with DRL's, just a small wire between two fuses.

Open the fuse box under the driver side on the footwell and see if there are any jumpers between fuses. That was how I got my US version to work with DRL's, just a small wire between two fuses.

Try this

Just sold one of these for a 996 going into Canada, out of Indiana - remarkable look (I'm told)!

go here: www.BestDRLs.com

Green DRL safety systems

Edited by kstrsn

Just the fog lights. All other light functions are fine.

I'm fairly certain it is a U.S. model due to the VIN and speedo/odo gauges being in miles rather than km.

Not likely a Canadian spec car then, ours normally have the headlights on for DRL.

I don't have my 2003 anymore but I'm sure that just like my 2006, the headlights are on when the engine is on for a Canadian car.

I would look around the car for a hack...

I'm out of town, so I cannot look at the car now, but I'm almost certain that it is not Canadian spec car (among other reasons, I would have noticed the maple leaf sticker when I was looking at the options sticker). Will look for a jumper between fuses when I get back and let you know.

Thanks

To activate daylight running lights, you need to add a relay to relay box. Acquire part number 996.615.111.00. Insert this into spots S6 & S7 of the relay box.

But if you can't order the relay from your dealer, here is quick and dirty hack.

http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/drl/

Can you tell me if the above part is just a plug in relay or does it need specific wiring.

To activate daylight running lights, you need to add a relay to relay box. Acquire part number 996.615.111.00. Insert this into spots S6 & S7 of the relay box. The relay box is marked like this:

_xxxxx S1-5

_xxxxx S6-10

xxxxxx S11-16

xxxxxx S17-22

xxxxxx (unmarked on the fiche)

DRL_relay.jpg

• 5 months later...